Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Potpourri Post

This is what happens when I don't post forever. I have so much to write about, but not enough time.

Sports Drama

Untitled

Vali is on two softball teams this year. She’s doing a travel tournament team and little league. I wasn’t sure about her doing the travel team because of the extra cost, and after all was said and done, it was quite a bit more money than I expected. But she said she wanted to do it, and so I agreed.

We had the first tournament last weekend and it was freaking FREEZING. Seriously – the first game on Saturday morning was at 8:30 and it was like 37 degrees (and WINDY!) when it started. By the end of the day, it had only warmed up to about 45 degrees. We were wearing our winter coats, wrapped in blankets, and shivering the whole day. Sunday was a bit warmer, but only by about 10 degrees, and then the rain hit. So we had cold, windy, and wet. Awesome.

Extreme weather is normal here in Iowa, I get that. The girls enjoyed the game and won the bracket they were placed in. (Which was the lower bracket, but Vali got scolded for exclaiming happily that they won the ‘losers bracket’.) They got trophies that Vali calls her “grammy.” Oh, Lord, but that kid and her quirks crack me up.

Yesterday another team mom made a comment to me about how she and the coach were talking and they think that Vali could be “really good” if she took hitting lessons.

Oh, hell no. I already send her to practice twice a week, she’s got twice-a-week games starting up this Friday (the high is supposed to be 45 – yay) and she’ll do three more weekend tournaments. I am not spending more time on softball. If it ever warms up here, we’ll practice at home – tossing the ball around in the back yard and having her hit some of her dad’s pitches, but no. We’re not doing extra lessons. I won’t pretend not to be annoyed about the fact that they were talking about her needing lessons. That should be a conversation the coach has with me, not another team mom, but whatever.

Vali is a ball of fire. She’s a 4 foot tall, 56-pound munchkin with more energy than 1.21 gigawatts of electricity. She’s a fair ball player, but not a naturally gifted one, and lately she’s gotten spooked by the idea of getting hit by the ball. By the time June rolls around and the season for both leagues is behind her, she’ll have learned a lot and will be much better than she was at the start of the year. She’s NINE years old. That’s all we ask of her.

Sometimes I feel like an alien when I hang out with these sports parents. They seem to really live for the drama – they get so involved in these games. There’s always conflict brewing. Always. Someone is inevitably pissed off about a decision of some kind, and there are constant whispers about this and that. Ugh. It’s exhausting to me. I have to say that although she wears me out, having an 18-month-old to chase around is a welcome alternative to being caught in the crossfire of the drama.

I guess this is just a giant gripe. It’s funny – Jake and Brie have been involved in music and drama at school for years and there is never this amount of drama with those parents.

Words!

Untitled

Oh, how I love this picture. Giggles galore.

Natalie is starting to talk now. It’s like something just clicked a few weeks ago and she realized, “hey! I can make sounds with my mouth, and these people will know what I want from them!” Her favorite words are Jakie, uh-oh, bite, more, ball, poo-poo, belly, dog, shoe, and outside.

She’s a funny kid – we are really enjoying this stage with her right now.

National Book Festival

IMG_9915

My mom sent me information about the Library of Congress’ National Book Festival this fall. I don’t think I’ll be able to go since we have a family wedding that weekend, but I’m going to send Jake out to spend the weekend in DC with my mom so they can go together. There are some amazing authors who will be speaking at the festival – I’m excited for him and know that he will love it!

Uganda

Untitled

My kids are world travelers! Brie will be traveling with a couple of non-profit groups this summer to Uganda. She’ll get to see first-hand how these non-profits are helping women in Uganda to support their families and create sustainable business models. People seem to be nervous about this when I tell them she’s going there. (“Isn’t there a war going on?” they ask.) We are assured that she’ll be in a safe part of Uganda – far away from the conflict that is happening near the northern borders with Sudan.

Brie is wrapping up her freshman year at the University of Iowa and will be coming home in a few weeks. We are looking forward to having her here this summer – the house will be full and happy with all four kids under the roof.

Well – that’s all I have time for today. Maybe if I wrote more often, I wouldn’t have to do these disjointed updates.

1 comment:

Sincerely, Jenni said...

*sigh* Sports drama. People seem to feed off of it. I think it's worse in small towns, but everyone thinks they know the right way to handle something. They know where their kid should be playing on the field, and they want to express their opinion about your kid as well.

We are now in our 15th year of my oldest playing softball. We've played year-round=-- rec leagues, tournament teams, school teams, and we've travelled a LOT. We've never give her hitting lessons, and we've tried to let her get to where she's at based on her own ability and talent, not by who we schmooze with at the games. lol

(Also, I'm guessing the Mom mentioned the hitting lessons to you is probably trying to show off the fact that HER daughter takes lessons, and I'm sure she's amazingly awesome and poops unicorns and rainbows).

My best advice is-- take your cue from your daughter. A lot of the kids that are immersed in the world of lessons and extra stuff at a young age fizzle out when they get to high school, because they are just burnt out. But yuor daughter will let you know if she's ready for more, or if she's just happy being on a team and having fun.