Wednesday, February 6, 2013

February Writing Challenge: My First Kiss

I’ve slacked off on the writing challenge, and I didn’t want to even think about doing today’s prompt because, well, it’s a memory that makes me squirm, and not in a good way. However, I looked at my calendar and see that I have a free half an hour here at work, right now, and I realized that if I’m going to do this writing challenge thing, I need to do it when I can. Which is now. So here it is, in its unedited glory.

My First Kiss

I was that girl in high school who seemed to sit on the sidelines watching everyone else have fantastic experiences while my life just ticked on by. My best friends all had boyfriends before me. At the time, I thought it was because they were prettier than I, but no. We were all pretty. My friends were simply in possession of a self-confidence that bloomed much later in me.

He was a senior and I was a sophomore when we started dating. I must have been attracted to him back then, but the thought of him makes me shudder today. It’s likely that my memory of our first kiss is tainted because he turned out to be Emperor of Psycholand. But even if he would have turned out to be a normal, non-crazy person, I have to believe that the memory of kissing him would still make me cringe.

It was that bad.

He was a sloppy, slobbery kisser, and I’m not exaggerating when I say that my entire face was wet and faintly sticky after a make-out session. My sixteen-month-old baby who comes at me with an open mouth and her tongue sticking out has a more refined kissing technique. Hell, my DOG is a better kisser.

I can’t go into more detail without losing my lunch. It was just that gross. I never liked kissing him, and it certainly didn’t make me want to do other things with him, much to his dismay. And there it is, the silver lining in that frothy, dripping cloud: he was such a bad kisser that I was never tempted to go "all the way" with him. Thank God for that, because I don't believe I could handle THAT kind of memory.

7 comments:

kylydia said...

This bit?

"He was a senior and I was a sophomore when we started dating. I must have been attracted to him back then, but the thought of him makes me shudder today. It’s likely that my memory of our first kiss is tainted because he turned out to be Emperor of Psycholand."

We had the EXACT same experience.

ludakristen said...

It's difficult for me to imagine you not thinking you were pretty in high school.

Monnik said...

It's one of the regrets of my life, Kristen. (Although that sounds more dramatic than it needs to.) I don't know why I felt that way, but I did.

Karibean said...

I love this one! I want to participate in your writing prompts!

Melanie said...

Man, I love when babies do that open-mouth-head-for-your-face thing. But a 17-year-old? No, thanks.

Jenny said...

Wonderfully successful piece, it makes me feel ookie reading it.

Lisa Lavia Ryan said...

One of my high-school boyfriends had that same kissing issue. Who the hell taught them all to kiss that way?