Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Who's to say what's right or wrong?


Philosophy for the social media generation. Here's my take on it all.

I am stepping away from Facebook for a while. It’s just become too much of a minefield of explosive political bullshit. The hate and vitriol that is being tossed around so casually makes me cringe. It’s one thing to voice your disagreement with the president about politics, but it’s another thing entirely to post hateful things about him.

The very premise of the platform of many of these hate-spewers is that this country was founded upon and should be led with Christian principles. That’s what they say, anyway. And yet, without noticing the irony, these folks spread their hateful messages that attack the personal characteristics of our leader instead of the political decisions that they disagree with. Christ was all about love, not hate.

I would describe my political viewpoint to be a middle of the road, slightly right-leaning philosophy. I have conservative views on abortion, gun control, and government spending. So I actually agree with the underlying viewpoint that some of these posts are supporting. But just because I don’t agree that gun control is the answer, doesn’t mean I think we should be comparing Obama to Hitler. What a load of crap.

My political philosophy is very similar to my religious philosophy. I have very strong religious beliefs, and if someone wanted more information or was interested in my take on Catholicism, I’d be happy to share it with them. But I’m not one to go out and evangelize my religion. I hold my beliefs dear to me, but I also respect everyone’s right to believe differently. Not only do I respect it, but I’m truly interested in what other people believe. Learning about other religions doesn’t threaten my belief. It only enhances my overall view of my Creator.

I feel the same way about political beliefs. Why shouldn’t someone have the right to feel differently about how our nation is governed? Who is to say that my viewpoint is the end all/be all? It would be distasteful to post things on Facebook that denigrate the Methodists, for example, even though they may approach things differently from my Catholic teachings. Not only would it be unsavory to post something like that, it would be useless. I’m fairly certain that nobody ever saw a post on Facebook and shouted, “Eureka! I have seen the light! I will now radically change my position on this huge and complicated issue just because somebody I went to high school with and haven't talked to in 20 years shared a PhotoShopped photo that had some catchy words on it.”

That’s why posting these tirades on Facebook is so repugnant to me.  Thinking that those who disagree with you on political concepts are “wrong” or “stupid” is so frighteningly close-minded. It’s funny. Hitler denounced and killed people who disagreed with him and who were different from him. He thought that those who were different from him were an inferior race. Not so different from the hate-spewers who think that those who don’t see things their way are stupid. See how we can go full circle with that ridiculous comparison?

So, my friends, I can’t take it anymore. One of my very most favorite people in this world is a large contributor to this trend and I have to say that it baffles me, and I don't care to witness it any longer. If you care to find me, look to the instagram and twitter skies. I’ll be there enjoying social media without the hate.

3 comments:

Karibean said...

LOVE this. In fact, I wrote an unpublished post a few weeks ago about something similar. The election seriously stressed me out and I know it's because of all the facebook hate-- and you're right, so much of the hateful stuff was in the name of Christianity. Thanks for writing!

Beth @ Lambic Pentameter said...

I spend more time on Twitter anyway, so I'm glad to have you back. :-)

ludakristen said...

What Beth said.

:D