Monday, August 20, 2012

School Days!

Today is back to school day for the kids.

The Boy is a sophomore:

IMG_8583

Bumblebee is a 4th grader:

IMG_8573
We got up and ready this morning, and I had to laugh. Bumblebee wanted me to braid her hair last night so that it would be wavy this morning. Then she had me pull back the sides into a ponytail.  Her outfit consisted of a pair of jeggings, a bright green tank top, a jean jacket, and dangly earrings.  I swear I'd have worn the same outfit in seventh grade.

She was, like, totally jazzed about her outfit (see how I used some 80's words there?) until The Boy told her that she looked like she was dressed in 80's clothes. That seemed to horrify her for some reason. She has no idea that those 'cool' clothes were inspired by the Flashdance and Footloose days of old.

Goblin wasn't terribly impressed by the morning's activities:

IMG_8589
It's hard to believe how big they are getting.

And Hollywood is enjoying her first day of classes at the U of Iowa. She's texted me several times to let me know how it's going, and I just LOVE getting her updates.

"Ahhh I love my theater tech professor :)  He's so funny and relaxed... we have to call him Jim."
and
"Just had free lunch at the Newman Center!"
I'm trying very hard not to text her every time I think about her. She'd be annoyed if I did that, so I'm trying to keep it under control. I can tell she's a teensy bit homesick because she commented on an Instagram photo saying how big The Boy and Bumblebee look. (She's been gone less than a week. They don't really look that much bigger, ha!)

But I remember that feeling from when I went away to college. My baby brother was 8 that fall and had trouble pronouncing his "R" sounds. When I came home for a visit, he could pronounce them. It sounds weird, but I felt a profound sense of sadness when that happened. He was growing up without me! I had a hard time with it for a while, and I expect Hollywood is experiencing a bit of that.

We had a fabulous weekend. The Husband and I walked up to the football game with the little girls on Friday night. It's about 1.5 miles there, so it's a decent evening walk to go up and watch the game for a bit and then come home. Goblin was dressed in her football leggings, and was a hit while Bumblebee got to bring a friend along. The Boy plays football, but the JV games are on Monday, so we were there mostly to let Bumblebee have a social event on her calendar and to support the team for a bit. It was a nice evening.

I babysat my nephews Simon and Will on Saturday, and consequently didn't get much accomplished on that day. Will and Simon are 12 1/2 months apart. They keep my brother and sister-in-law hopping! Yesterday was spent attempting to do some organization.  As a result, my house is a disaster today! Totally a one step forward/two steps back process that I will have to dig out of this week.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Karibean said...

That is an adorable picture of Vali! And yes, I am positive I wore the EXACT same outfit when I was in fourth or fifth grade. Glad you had such a good 1st day! I can't imagine how much easier my freshman year of college had been if cell phones had been around and email wasn't dial-up! I was the homesick queen for the fall semester of 1996.