Monday, August 27, 2012

Beat that, Ryan Hall!

Did you hear that? It's the creaking sound of my aching body. By tomorrow I won't be able to move.

The Boy has been suggesting that we start running together in the mornings now that he has to get up for school anyway. I put it off last week because we were getting back into the swing of things with school being in session. Actually, that had nothing to do with it, but it sounded like a good reason, so I used it as an excuse. I just wanted to be lazy for another week.

I'm so terrible. I should be encouraging The Boy's earnest request to get fit with me. And while I love spending time with him - the thought of running again makes me queasy. So when he asked me last night if I was ready to start our quest to become runners again, I said, "Sure. If you get up, we'll go. Set your alarm."

He's a fifteen year old boy who loves to sleep. I thought I was home free.

But no. This morning I woke with a start to him standing over my side of the bed. CREEPY! He used to do that when he was a little guy and woke up in the middle of the night. Why the heck he can't just make noise to wake me up is beyond me.

So we got up, laced up the Nikes and ran five miles in 40 minutes.

HAAAA. Just kidding.

We did 2.1 miles in just under a half an hour in walk/jog intervals. It wasn't stellar or impressive. I'm totally holding The Boy back, but he doesn't care. He gets training in football practice too, but for now he just wants someone to run with.

Even though I was dreading it (seriously, I did not want to do it) it was... nice. The walking and running felt good and it was nice saying hello to my other crazy neighbors who are out walking at 5:30 a.m.

So thanks to The Boy for hauling my backside out of bed. Hopefully this will become a habit that we can enjoy together.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Ha! You totally got me with your 8min/mile sentence. My heart kind of stopped a little.

Tracy said...

Good for you! Besides the whole running-is-good-for-you thing, it's great when teenage kids WANT to spend time doing something active with their parents.

Karibean said...

Good for you! And your little Goblin isn't even a year yet-- that is super majorly impressive in my book! And I LOVE that your teenage son wants to run with you. You are doing something right! :)