Friday, July 6, 2012

Let's cram a week's worth of photos into one blog post, shall we?

We've had an eventful week.

On Friday, this little guy (my nephew Simon) turned one:

IMG_8048

See his adorable mom? That's my sis-in-law who is due to have another baby any day. Not quite Irish twins, but almost. Anyway, her Pinterest addiction is as bad as my own. She had all kinds of adorable decorations up for the party. Her theme was Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  She had cute little cut outs of phrases from the book and the corresponding foods that the caterpillar ate. So cute. Check them out:

IMG_8035

I helped her by making a caterpillar cupcake cake:

Hungry Caterpillar Cupcake Cake

It turned out pretty well. The cupcakes were my own modification of this recipe. (I used homemade brownie batter and a boxed white cake.) Then I made my own buttercream frosting and went to town with the food coloring. I made a green frosting and a yellowish green frosting and smushed them together into my frosting tube tool. I think I could do more to create better color varigation, but it was a good first pass:

Caterpillar cupcakes

The head was a bigger cake made in a ramekin frosted with red frosting:

IMG_8022

Anyway, that was the cake. I'm starting to get pretty good at this cupcake thing. I'm trying to figure out what to do for Bumblebee's birthday later this month. My girl loves popcorn, so I'm thinking of something like this, but we'll have to see how that works out. But do you know how hard it is to make cupcakes while you are on a low carb diet?

Simon's party was fun. We got to hang out with the family, and that always makes me smile. Mom was back from DC for the weekend, and we were especially glad to hang out with her. Here are some photos of the party:

IMG_8034

IMG_8062

Mom has gotten skinny. Living in DC and walking up 7 flights of stairs to her apartment has whipped her into shape! Here is Aunt Kim with Goblin:

IMG_8067

And here's me with my snuggler. She's actually not a snuggler. She doesn't have time for snuggling and this photo was captured in the split second that she was content. Normally when I hold her she tries to climb me like a mountain until she's gripping my hair on the top of my head. Little monkey.

Mama and Natalie

After the party, my sister-in-law Molly came along to the drive-in with us. There are only a couple of them left in the state, and one is just a couple of miles from my mom's house, so it worked out perfectly. We saw the movie Brave. Here's my one word review: Meh.
*photo of Bumblebee at the drive-in
IMG_8070

The Boy was with us too, but he is camera shy these days and gets irritated when I take pictures of him, silly boy. He's spent his summer going to football practice and sleeping, so there's not much to document lately, but I snapped this of him as he headed out to practice this morning. He looks like he's half asleep, doesn't he?

jake

Sigh. The kid is growing up so fast.

We had a nice 4th of July, but I have to say that I don't like the holiday falling on a Wednesday. It has totally messed me up. I keep thinking that today is a Monday.

Here are some pictures from the July 4th parade. The Boy and The Husband opted to forego the parade and stay in bed, so it was only Molly, the girls, and me. But we had a nice time. We sat with Hollywood's boyfriend's family. That's him in the stylish yellow shorts. (Hollywood picked those up for him in Italy.)

parade1

Well, we had a nice time until I accidentally got sunscreen in Goblin's eyes. And the poor kid was already like a dripping faucet from her nose because of a summer cold/teething combination. It was sad to see her face all red and her eyes half closed:

parade2

Eventually her eyes cleared up a bit. And then she thoroughly enjoyed the parade, although she's being obstinate and not looking in the direction I want her to:

parade

After the parade, we went to Target. Normally I love Target, but it was a bittersweet trip this time. We piled a cart up as full as it would go with dorm room items.

college shopping

I can very clearly remember moving into the dorms. Vividly. It was such an exciting and exhilirating event, and it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. So how can I have a child getting ready to go off to college?
Hollywood and Bumblebee had fun sitting on the weird chairs at Target:

chairs at Target

On the way out of the store, Hollywood gave me a hug and thanked me. I had the biggest lump in my throat and focused my attention on something that was falling out of the diaper bag so that nobody would notice.

So that's our week in review.  I love summertime.

2 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Are Bumblebee's feet really as big as they look in the photo? That girl is going to be 5'10" if she keeps growing!

We didn't shop for dorm stuff until we got to FL the weekend before Sorority Girl started school.

Isn't party planning fun with Pinterest?

Monnik said...

HA. No, her feet are very small for her age, actually. Along with the rest of her. She wears a kids' size 13 and most of her friends are in youth sizes 3 or 4 by now. :)

It was just the angle of the photo. She' be thrilled if she grew taller than 5'6"! But I doubt that's in the cards for her...