Saturday, June 9, 2012

Graduation: Cupcakes!

I wanted to document what I did for Hollywood's graduation party decorations so I remember in the future, so I've got a couple of posts written about it. We had the party at our house - something I'm not sure I'll ever do again. I should probably never say "never" but I think having the party at some other venue would be well worth the cost. We spent weeks getting the house in order and it never really got to the condition that I wanted it to be, but it all worked out in the end. First of all, the CUPCAKES:

aIMG_7905-025

They were a hit. I made four varieties: orange cream, almond, raspberry lemon, and chocolate caramel. I used the cake part of this recipe as the base for all but the orange cream, and I tweaked this recipe for the orange cream cake. The buttercream is my own "recipe" but let's use that term loosely, since I'm a "throw it in the mixer and hope it turns out right kind of gal." It's basically butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, half and half along with whatever I used to flavor the frosting. For the raspberry lemon cupcakes, I added raspberry preserves. For the caramel, I added Watkins' caramel flavoring. Yum.

Here are a few more photos of them. The orange cream cupcakes had marshmallow fluff inside them with an orange buttercream frosting. They seemed to be the 'winner' by popular vote, although my favorite was the almond.

IMG_7972

aIMG_7905-024

aIMG_7905-023

I made some cute little cupcake stick decorations by creating the files in PhotoShop, printing them off, and taping them to a stake that went into the cupcakes. Unneccessary, perhaps, since the cupcakes were decoration enough, but they were fun to make.

I made the cupcakes ahead of time - started about 3 weeks before the party and froze them. Then I defrosted them the night before graduation and on the morning of graduation, I frosted them all. (I made over 500 cupcakes and there was only one tray of about 16 cupcakes left!)

4 comments:

janna said...

YUM! They look awesome!

AggieManda said...

Wow! That looks amazing!

WebGal said...

I can vouch for the orange cream ones. They were amazing! (I didn't get a taste of the others)

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

You did a great job with the cupcakes and the decorations! Wow...500 cupcakes!