Monday, March 5, 2012

Fifteen

The Boy turned fifteen on Saturday. I can't believe it. Fifteen years since the day that I woke up at 2 a.m. with contractions and told The Husband we'd better go to the hospital.  "Yes! I don't have to go to work this week!" was his response.

Fifteen years since Hollywood resisted coming to the hospital.  She was three and a half and knew something in her life was changing. We'd been told The Boy was a girl (nice one, ultrasound tech) and so learning that she had a brother was even more unsettling to my precocious three year old.  Grandma Judy had to sweet talk her into coming to the hospital.

Fifteen years since the nurses gave him a bath and uncovered the beautiful curls that he still has to this day (although he prefers to keep his hair short enough to keep them in control.)

Fifteen years since that sweet, calm, little man with big blue eyes came into this world.

Today he's several inches taller than me. He still has big blue eyes, and he's still sweet and calm.
*photo of The Boy:
jake
We celebrated his big day by hanging out at home.  I made him a tasty cinnamon coffee cake for breakfast. (It was a Pinterest recipe. Yum.) His request for dinner was jambalaya and ice cream cake. It turned out that two of my brothers and sisters-in-law came over for dinner too, so it was nice to have a celebration for him, even though it wasn't planned ahead of time.

The Boy got a kindle fire for his birthday, so he spent much of the day playing games on it and reading a book. That kid knows how to spend a birthday. He and I are two peas in a pod. Happy birthday, buddy. Best son in the world.

2 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your boy. He's going to be a good man.

My grown up boy with the head full of curls keeps cutting his. I can't convince him to let it grow out a little.

etsy stalkers said...

ahahhaa - when i went into labor with my first, i had the same reaction about not having to go into work. hmmmm - signs you need a new job?!