Friday, October 21, 2011

Goblin's birth story, part 1

Dear Goblin,

You are sleeping next to me as I type this. Every so often you make a sleep squeaky noise that is so adorable I just want to scoop you up and snuggle you.  Which is what I have been doing non stop for the past five days. I am sleep deprived, have sore lady parts, and am basically a walking zombie because we haven't slept much this week.  But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  These first few weeks of bonding and snuggling with an infant are among my most precious memories, to go down as the happiest times in my life.

But let me tell you how you came into the world.  You were due on Halloween, which is why I've given you the nickname "Goblin" on this blog. I was pretty miserable these last few weeks - feeling very clumsy and uncomfortable.  I had a pregnancy symptom called PUPPS which made me itch uncontrollably for several weeks. I was hoping and praying that you'd come a little bit early to relieve me of my misery, but I never really expected you to.  You see, your sisters and brother were all overdue, so I assumed that you would be too.

On Friday night, your dad and I went to the varsity football game to walk Hollywood down the football field for senior night.
*photo of TH and me walking Hollywood down the football field:
IMG_5005
Everyone asked me if I was ready to have you and I said, yes!  I sure was - I couldn't wait to meet you.  After we got home from the game, Daddy and I watched The Five People you Meet in Heaven and had a nice relaxing night together. (Daddy doesn't like to watch movies that much, but I sure love it when he agrees to!) I wasn't feeling great that night - had cramping and was hoping they would turn into real labor, but by early morning they had fizzled out.

Saturday I didn't do much.  A little laundry, not much else. I was bummed that the pains from the night before didn't turn into anything.  I took a late mid afternoon nap while Daddy went to the grocery store to get some chicken to grill.  It was a beautiful October day - sunny, temps in the high 60s.  Nice night for BBQ chicken!  But... you had other plans!

When I got up from my nap, my water broke. I won't gross you out with the details, but there was no mistaking what happened. Oh. My. Goodness.  We were going to have a baby!!

I told The Boy to call Daddy and tell him that my water just broke.  The Boy and Bumblebee were both so excited.  It was so sweet.  After calling Daddy, The Boy texted Hollywood, who was on her way home from work.  She squealed with the news. Daddy left his cart of groceries sitting in the middle of the aisle he was in when The Boy called him.  He shot out of there and headed home as fast as he could.

It's a rare occasion to have all of us home at the same time on a Saturday, but as we left for the hospital, your brother and sisters were there to say goodbye.  I hugged each of them, and a tiny tug of sadness pulled at me.  Not because I wasn't over the moon at your impending arrival, but because things just wouldn't be the same anymore, and there's a certain sadness in that reality. They were so excited, that I got over that feeling very soon.

We made it to the hospital, and got checked in.  I won't go into the details of your labor here, because, gross! But let's just say it was the longest of my labors (by 4 minutes, according to the nurse).  It wasn't terrible, and I caved and got an epidural that made it feel wonderful. You made your appearance at 11 minutes before midnight on Saturday, October 15th!

We didn't know if you were a boy or a girl, so the doctor asked us if Daddy wanted to tell me what you were.  He did, and when he told me you were a girl, I felt the tears rush to my eyes.  I was so happy.  Daddy cut the cord and they laid you on my chest.  Here's a really gross picture of you:
*photo of Goblin right after birth:
 IMG_5009
See how purple you were with that white gunk on you?  Don't worry - they cleaned that up real quick.  But not before I got to snuggle with you, and explore you, and count your ten perfect fingers and toes. It's amazing, that feeling of having an infant created out of love between your husband and you placed onto your chest.
*photo of me with Goblin on my chest after delivery:
IMG_5011
They cleaned you up and set you on the scale.  You weighed 6 pounds, 8 ounces and were 19.5 inches long.
*photo of Goblin being weighed:
IMG_5013
Then it was Daddy's turn to hold you.
*photo of TH with Goblin:
IMG_5014
We're both so proud to call you our daughter.  But here it is, almost time for you to wake up and eat again, so I will close this and write more about your birth later.

We love you, Natalie. We're so very blessed to have you in our family.

Love,
Mama

7 comments:

Kirsten said...

Beautiful...your little Goblin is just an ounce heavier than I was at birth. What a precious little pumpkin. :) I'm still so happy that everything went well and your family is complete.

Luda said...

This made me cry.

Oh, I'm so so happy for you and Goblin and Dusty and the Boy and Hollywood and your little one whose nickname I can't remember right now.

Jenster said...

My eyes are all watery from the joy trying to leak out! Congratulations mama and welcome Goblin!!

Beth said...

I thought I'd make it through this without crying until the part about Daddy abandoning the shopping cart.

Welcome to the world, Goblin! I can't wait to meet you.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

She is so beautiful. Your facebook photos of her being held and welcomed by her siblings were precious.
I'm so happy for your family.

K. Spahn said...

Aw, I'm supposed to be working and now I'm crying. Congrats to your family! She is beautiful--you have an amazing family.

mamabearx3 said...

I have followed your pregnancy on the WW board. You are so Blessed.....as are your precious children!