Monday, July 18, 2011

"I think it's dead..."

We spend the weekend at a softball tournament for Bumblebee.

It was HOT. The heat index was supposedly 120 degrees at one point with a steamy dewpoint. Everybody kept asking me how I was dealing with the heat.  Truth be told, the heat doesn't usually bug me too much.  Even while pregnant, I'll take the heat over cold/rainy/windy any day. My fingers and toes looked like sausages by the time we got home, however, and I'd be lying if I didn't thank my stars for our shiny new air conditioner that is working overtime this month.

The kids didn't have much trouble with the heat.  Mostly they hung out and were goofy:
*photos of the girls on the team being goofy:
IMG_3885

IMG_3884

Leave it to my kid to be the one with the spazzed out smile when the other girls look so nice and sweet:

IMG_3881

I love watching Bumblebee play ball.  She's got spunk, that kid, and it's evident when she's up to bat.  You'll hear people from the opposing teams comment on how tiny she is, and then they'll chuckle when she does a practice swing.  Seriously - that kid has a cut like no other.  Her backswing is about as fast as the forward motion.  It's pretty funny to watch.  And when she connects, she can crack that ball.
*photo of Bumblebee up to bat:
IMG_3557

Lately she's been doing this thing where she smacks home plate with her bat several times before giving her practice swing a whirl.  It's pretty funny watching her because she's ALL BUSINESS.  Yesterday, during their last game of the tournament, she beat home plate with her bat a few times while she was warming up. The crowd chuckled as she did it, because she was giving the plate a serious beating.

"Easy, there, sweetheart."  the umpire said to her, "I think it's dead."

Ha!

The girls won the lower bracket of the tournament, and got to take home individual trophies.  They were SO EXCITED about those trophies, they may as well have been made of solid gold.

Sure, it was a hot couple of days, and The Husband and I weren't able to get anything done around the house because of the time commitment, but watching Bumblebee play with her friends and socializing with their parents was great. These are the memories I love about sporting events.

3 comments:

K. Spahn said...

You are such a good mom! I hope I can be as optimistic about watching kid sporting events in the future.

Lydia said...

Oh, man, this takes me back. Softball was my sport for nearly twenty years. I loved it. I loved those weekend-long tournaments. I'm not sure how my parents coped with it all!

Lydia said...

Oh, man, this takes me back. Softball was my sport for nearly twenty years. I loved it. I loved those weekend-long tournaments. I'm not sure how my parents coped with it all!