Monday, July 25, 2011

Get moving...

I’m now 26 weeks along.  Goblin is due in a little over 3 months.  That seems so far away.  I look at this belly of mine and can’t figure out how it’s going to continue to grow for another three whole months.  God help me.

Lately, my body is trying to tell me something.  And that something is, “Get off your ass and MOVE.”

I have been having horrible insomnia lately.  I will lay awake for hours, stressing out over the time, and flopping from right to left side, like a giant fish, trying to get comfortable.  I’m a stomach sleeper, and since that’s not possible, unless I were to carve out a watermelon shaped hole in my mattress (hey… that’s an idea!) I can’t sleep the way I want to.  It’s very sad, and I’m looking for a piece of junk LaZBoy recliner on Craig’s List, to keep just for the next couple of months so I can actually sleep at night.

I also have been having restless leg syndrome (RLS) something fierce.  It gets so bad sometimes that I physically can’t sit still.  I want to kick, stretch, or completely saw off my legs when this happens.  I keep asking The Husband to get a hack saw and just saw them off for me, but he claims to like me better with legs, silly man. There’s an old remedy for RLS that seems insane to me, but people swear it works: putting a potato into a sock and sticking it in bed with you. I know… it sounds ridiculous. But don’t think I won’t be trying it…

Here’s why I think my body is telling me to get physically active.  Both of these horrible pregnancy symptoms are relieved, though not completely eliminated, by good old-fashioned exercise.  The nights that I go for a walk with the neighbor, or work on the floor tile project (it’s still going on, and man, is it a pain in the ass. But progress is being made) I sleep much better, and the RLS makes me fidget a bit, instead of kicking my legs in absolute frustration.

I have to force myself to get in the habit of doing something physical each night before bed.  It’s hard, though, my energy is not where it should be, and I just want to veg out and relax when it’s hot outside.  But I have to say, being able to sleep and not having the RLS too bad is worth an hour of sweaty exercise. So I’m going to do my best to stick to that routine.  Wish me luck.

I've also read that regulating your body's blood sugar can help with RLS too.  Yesterday was a particularly bad day for my RLS, and I did not have a good eating day, so I am going to try to stick to foods with a low glycemic index and see if that helps as well.  Those foods tend to be more healthy anyway, so I won't be hurting Goblin any with this experimentation.

Sigh... the things we do to bring humans into the world. Wouldn't trade it for anything, though. I got to hold three babies this weekend (my 5 1/2 month old niece and nephew twins on Saturday and my 3 1/2 week old nephew Simon yesterday) and they made me so excited to meet Goblin!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I desperately need to get moving too. Want to be, like, accountable to each other or something?

Kristen said...

I bet Goblin and Smooshy Baby are going to be bestest friends!