Sunday, May 1, 2011

A photo tour: Hollywood's Junior Prom

Yesterday was Hollywood's junior prom.  She's been looking forward to this for months and months, ever since she saw the dress online.  She and her boyfriend have been dating for about a year and a half now, and were excited to glam it up together.

I was happy to be a part of it all.  For those of you who know me well, this first picture will astonish you.  With the exception of powder smelling baby tootsies, I don't like feet. It was a joke in high school, in fact, my high school crush once taped a piece of foot skin to a card, wrote the words words "yum, yum, foot scum" on it, and mailed it to me.  (shudder)  At any rate, this is how much I love my firstborn. I gave her a pedicure!
*photo of me scrubbing Hollywood's feet, giving her a pedicure.
IMG_3020

After that, I did her friend Nicole's hair.  It turned out pretty:
*photo of Nicole's hair:
IMG_3023

Hollywood was her friends' sought after makeup artist, so she did a few girls' makeup:
*photo of Hollywood putting false eyelashes on her friend:
IMG_3025

Then I finished up Hollywood's hair while she did her own makeup:
*photo of me doing H's hair:
IMG_3032

Then it was time to put on the dress. This thing has a fancy corset back which means I had to lace it all the way down and cinch it tight so that Hollywood's dress would stay up:
*photo of Hollywood being helped into her dress:
IMG_3039

Why, yes.  That is a picture of Barack Obama's head superimposed onto an underwear model's body on Hollywood's door.  I have no idea what the story is there, and quite frankly, I'm afraid to ask.

Once we got the dress on, this is how it looked.  It's just beautiful.  I have honestly never seen a dress like this before - it's unique and fun style truly fits Hollywood's personality.
*photo of Hollywood in her dress:
IMG_3043

Then it was time for more photos. Here are some of the girls who were hanging out at the house:

IMG_3044

And then the boys showed up.  Here's Hollywood's date.  Isn't he adorable?
*photo of Thad:
IMG_3051
"Don't poke me!" He's thinking here, as Hollywood attempts to attach his buttoneire. She was pretty creative in how she attached it, but it seemed to work!

IMG_3056

His job was much easier - the corsage just slid on her arm:

IMG_3059
After taking the indoor shots, we headed out to the back yard, where the kids were met with a stern warning to look out for dog poo.  The yard had been cleaned up and mowed earlier in the day, but you never can be too careful.  It was a beautiful day, which was a relief, since we've had a couple of weeks of gray, rainy, cold weather in Iowa.  Here is a group of them outside:

IMG_3074

We didn't take all poses completely seriously, as you can tell:
*Hollywood and Thad doing goofy faces for the camera:
IMG_3088
*another goofy shot:
IMG_3089
*A goofy pose with Bumblebee hiding under Hollywood's dress and her dad smiling next to them:
IMG_3115

Then we took some sweet pictures.  I love this one of Hollywood giving The Husband a kiss on the cheek:

IMG_3116

This is a picture of the back of the dress:

IMG_3128

And, of course, a shot of the back of Thad's tux:

IMG_3132

I think they were wiping off glitter here - Hollywood was wearing some glitter powder and Thad ended up wearing a lot of it too:

IMG_3134

I love this picture - the girls circled around, enjoying their day.  A couple of them were underclassmen who weren't going to prom (the blonde girl is Thad's sister) and they came over to watch the girls get ready:

IMG_3141

Two of my brothers were visiting for the afternoon- here they are feeding Hollywood giant burritos:
*photo of K and Z with Hollywood:
IMG_3148

My sisters-in-law look pretty low key here, but don't be fooled.  Their burritos where hiding behind their backs:
*photo of D and M with Hollywood:
IMG_3153

We got a nice shot of Hollywood with me.  I love that everything is finally green and leaves are budding on the trees!

IMG_3157

This is a closeup of Hollywood's corsage.  Beautiful purple gerber daisies, with tiny orange accent flowers and rhinestones, along with an orange sparkly bow:

IMG_3217

And one last kiss on the cheek before heading off to dinner:
*photo of Hollywood giving Thad a kiss on the cheek:
IMG_3218

There was a huge group of kids who rented a party bus and went to dinner at The Latin King, a restaurant in Des Moines.  They had a nice time there, and the bus dropped them back off at the site of the dance, where the whole community was waiting to watch them all walk into the prom:
*photos of the community waiting for the kids:
IMG_3250

 
IMG_3249

Bumblebee found some of her friends and held council at the second grader's prom attendance meeting:
*photo of Bumblebee with four other girls from her class:
IMG_3243

Finally, the bus arrived and the kids lined up to go underneath the red canopy and begin the walk into the prom.  As they walked down the pathway into the dance, an announcer read their names, where they were from, and who their parents are.
*photo of the kids lined up to walk under a red tent to begin their promenade:
IMG_3230

Hollywood and Thad were one of the first couples to enter the dance:

IMG_3238

They were in a hurry - look how fast Hollywood is walking!

IMG_3239

But finally, they stopped for one last photo before they headed off to the dance:
*photo of Thad and Hollywood before entering the dance:

IMG_3241

After the dance, the kids came home and changed into sweatpants and headed off to the after-prom event.  The event was held at Incredible Pizza, one of those game/arcade places.  They had games, prizes, a hypnotist, etc. that lasted until 5 a.m. when the bus brought the kids back to the school to come home to sleep.  Hollywood won an emergency car care kit that comes complete with jumper cables and roadside flares.  Not a bad prize, but she was hoping to win the laptop or ipad.

She came in at 5:30 this morning, with a smile on her sleepy face.  Off to bed she went, to sleep for the next several hours.

All in all, I think it was a wonderful night for her.  I was happy to be a part of it all, and I so enjoyed seeing her off on such an adventure.

6 comments:

Sarah M said...

Her dress was beautiful!

Barb said...

How wonderful! Love reading this post... I think my fav pic was bumblebee hiding under the dress ~ and what a cool dress it was.
I hope she appreciates what a great mom she has and thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Beth said...

A) I LOVE that dress. So unique.

B) I'm jealous that you live in a town that still does a Grand March. That's one of the things I miss most about spring in a small rural town.

Monnik said...

Beth, the grand march is really cool. I enjoyed it - not just to watch my own kid and her friends, but to see all of the different kids and to take in their unique styles and personalities.

And since our school district is such a small one (Hollywood's graduating class will be about 85 people) we know so many of the parents from activities. It was the social event of northern Polk county, I tell you! ;)

Prairie Chicken said...

These photo essays will be the most amazing treasures in years to come. Be sure you save them for the kids.

Prairie Chicken said...

I wanna see that dress. Bring it along tomorrow!