This weekend marks the unofficial start of summer. The kids' last day of school was yesterday, so now we have a senior and freshman in high school and a third grader. That is crazy, yo. CRAZY.
Summer means the following to us:
- Fishing on the boat - as the photo of The Boy shows above, he caught this beauty Thursday night when his dad didn't catch a thing. He was mighty proud of 'showing up' his old man.
- Softball. Today and tomorrow, Bumblebee has a softball tournament. Wish it were a little warmer so I could soak in some sun while I watch the games, but the heat will come to Iowa. Eventually.
- Camping trips - the easy way. We've already told my mom that we're going to camp on her land. We get the benefit of a bonfire, cooking over the flame, roasting marshmallows, telling scary stories, sleeping under the stars, and waking up smelling that easygoing smoke scent in our hair. All with having showers and bathrooms within easy walking distance.
- Homework assignments. Yep. That's right. The kids will get them each weekday this summer, unless there is a special event going on. I send them different assignments each day and they have to get them done by the time I'm home from work.
- Trips to the lake or the pool to swim and catch some sun.
- Weddings (a big family one this summer will be fun)
- Hiking with the dog and the kids. Someone convince The Husband that hiking is really fun. Please? We love it, and there are a lot of fun trails to discover within a short drive from our house.
Happy Summer, y'all!!
Update on what's been going on with us lately:
Goblin has decided that his or her days of making mama sick are over. I have felt great for at least a week (knock on wood) with no nausea in sight. Which means I've been eating like a... well, something that eats a lot.
Bumblebee had a nasty accident with the treadmill Wednesday night. It could have been so, so much worse. The Husband saw her fall, sprinted across the family room to help her (she was stuck between the belt and the wall) and she still ended up with multiple skin burns that are pretty gross looking. Poor thing kept telling me, "I'm so mad at myself. You and Daddy tell me not to play on the treadmill. Now I know why. I wish I would have listened." We are very thankful that she wasn't more seriously hurt, as it could have been much worse.
The Husband is ripping out the nasty, pet stained carpet in the family room today while I'm at the softball tournament. There is concrete beneath, and if we are lucky, it'll be in good enough condition to stain it and seal it. We'll throw some area rugs around in there, but until we have pets and kids who don't ruin things (read: never) concrete and rugs seems much easier to keep clean than carpet.
So that's about it for us. Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend.