Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Life's like an hourglass glued to a table.

*photo of Bumblebee and me with my birthday cake:
cakeIt’s been a chaotic week.  Exhausting in many ways, but that seems to be par for the course lately.  I had a wonderful birthday.  The Husband and the girls made my birthday cake (yay!) and Hollywood frosted it with homemade purple butter cream icing.  YUM.  I even got to sit there while the family sang to me.  Bumblebee wasn’t convinced that just one candle would be sufficient, but I explained that the fire extinguisher needed refilled, so we couldn’t put all 38 candles on there.  (Ba dum bum.  Lame jokes come with old age, yo.)

Saturday morning, we went to see Hollywood perform in her individual speech competition.  She chose ‘musical theater’ as her category, so it’s really not much like the ‘speech’ of my time.   In my day (sheesh – you turn 38 and all of a sudden start spouting phrases like ‘in my day’?? Scary.) speech was mostly extemporaneous, persuasion, etc.  You know, we actually had to write and give speeches.  None of this fancy theater stuff.  We got to see some of Hollywood’s friends in different categories.  Friend Eric did a dramatic acting scene where a prisoner who was in solitary confinement went crazy.  He was so convincing I wonder if I should let Hollywood hang out with him… he might snap on her someday.  Friend Tessa did a poetry reading where she chose a theme and selected three separate poems to read.  She happened to write one of them herself.  It was cool.

So definitely not the speech competition from the stone ages of the early 90s.  Hollywood’s musical theater choice was the song Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid.  Speech competitions tend to run early sometimes, so we arrived ahead of time and got to see four performances before Hollywood’s.  Most of them were decent; one was painfully awful.  Listening to that poor tone deaf girl sing In My Own Little Corner about made my ears itch. When it was Hollywood’s turn, I looked at her and could tell she was nervous.  Her chest was flushed (mine does that too when I’m nervous or emotional about something) and she bit her lower lip and smiled as she got up.  I squeezed her shoulder and told her she’d be great.

I honestly can’t think of anything more scary than to get up in front of a room full of people and sing and dance to a song all by myself.  Remember those nasty game/reality shows where people could win money by letting spiders crawl all over them?  Yeah. I’d rather do that. No lie.  And here is my child, who looks quite a bit like me, talks like me, has a fiery temper like me, but is so completely her own person.  My heart was in my throat as she strode up there to her spot. The accompanying music began, and she…

Knocked it out of the park.  It was great.

Tomorrow is The Boy’s birthday.  He’ll be fourteen.  In the past year he has grown about 5 inches (he’s dead even with me now) and is losing his baby face.  Sigh.  This shouldn’t make me sad, he’s a great kid.  But it does because he’s turning into a man.  The Boy has a girlfriend now, and while we don’t let them do much of anything other than go to a movie once a month or so with a group of people, it’s pretty serious for him.  He and she talk on the phone sometimes, but they spend a lot of time chatting on facebook.  I suspect that when he finally gets a cell phone (psst. It’ll arrive tomorrow) he’ll be texting her non stop. 

The Boy has such a tender heart.  He told me how his new girlfriend has times when she’s sad or depressed.  Her sister has serious health issues that cause her to be hospitalized often, and she herself has medical issues, along with pretty bad vision.  The Boy said sometimes she likes to be alone at lunch and he lets her have her space and then talks to her after school.  These are adolescent problems, not little boy issues.  It’s just crazy to me that he is getting so big, and it’s fun to watch him that way.  He’s going to the middle school winter dance Friday night.  I hope I can sneak into the dance and get a picture of him with his new friend. 

There’s a lyric to an Anna Nalic song that goes:

Life’s like an hourglass glued to a table.  No one can find the rewind button…

Isn’t that the truth? Lord help me.

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

Welcome to the club. I turned 38 back on December 21st.

Least you won't have to turn 40 since according to the Mayans the world will end on 12-21-2012 -- my 40th. Least I can have a hell of a party without worrying about the repercussions the next day.