Monday, August 9, 2010

Junior Pictures?

Hollywood is going to be a junior this year. I decided that instead of paying a ginormous amount of money on senior pictures next year, I'll buy myself a new camera and take them myself.

But I want to do it right. So I've been researching and practicing and trying new things with my brother's camera. He has a nice one that he loaned to me for a while. Hollywood and I went out to the lake tonight for some pictures. Not all of them were good. Some were bad, and I had to experiment with lighting and posing and background, etc. I'm also playing around with photoshop and editing. Some of these pictures are a bit heavy-handed but like I said, they're experiments.

Here are a few. There are more on my flickr photostream, which you can click to over on the right side of the blog.

Brie

*photos of Hollywood:
tire swing

silver wall

blue wall

over the shoulder

Water scene

Soft smile

Big laugh

Brie

White flowers

I have so many ideas. I want to take pictures by my mom's barn, in a cornfield, with her guitar, by this really cool railroad tie bridge near our house, etc. I'll keep working at it, and by the time she's really a senior, I might have it down.

So tell me, what's your favorite photo in this group?

7 comments:

Dan said...

I'll vote for the first and the fourth.

Hollywood certainly looks poised in them all.

Becca said...

Definitely second to last! Second choice, the second one. But they are all amazing and she is lovely.

Kirsten said...

I like the one with the water in the background and the one with the flowers framing her face.

One easy tip: shoot in aperture priority (on a Canon this is Av on the dial) with the shutter open as wide as possible (ie smallest # setting...somewhere around 2.8-4 on a decent lens). This will give you a shallower depth-of-field and put the focus on the subject and knock the background into a softer focus. :)

Jenster said...

I don't know that I have a favorite. They're very good!!

And what Kirsten said about Aperture priority. It gives the photos a more professional portrait look. I very rarely shoot in auto any more.

Monnik said...

Great tips, thanks! I'd love to hear any others that you care to share. This is a learning process for me. I'm certainly enjoying it, though.

writtenwyrdd said...

I like them all! It's going to be a tough choice.

I hope you don't mind my mentioning it here, but I thought you might like to participate. I'm running a flash fiction contest on my blog with cool prizes. Details are here: http://tinyurl.com/327guma

Barb said...

Such beautiful pics ~ such a beautiful girl. I love the one on the swing and the one where she is leaning against the brick wall.. but they are all fantastic!