Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Music Rant

Oh Rob Thomas. I love you. I really do. Your sexy singing voice is rivaled only by 1989 Jon Bon Jovi. Seriously, the song "Bent" makes me swoon.

And I love your lyrics. They're typically well written, full of meaning, and they evoke emotions that I can identify with. Well, except for this one:

"She thinks that happiness is a mat that sits on her doorway"

I don't know what that means. But it's OK. I don't need to know. It's a good song and you are a great singer.

But I absolutely can't listen to your latest song. Which is a shame, because the melody is quite nice and catchy and the musical arrangement is on par with the rest of your repertoire.

But holy crap, Rob. Did you fail your fourth grade language arts class?

(Here's the song, for those of you who aren't familiar with it.)


The offending lyrics are in the chorus, and as such are repeated throughout the song. And as far as I can tell, the grammar infraction isn't done to create a rhyme or for any other purpose.

You and me tried everything
But still that mocking bird wont sing
Well man this life seems hard enough
Well maybe we ain't meant for this love

Really, Rob? "You and **ME** tried everything?"

Why must you make my ears bleed?

I feel that I must educate you on this point. When you have two subjects in a sentence, and you are confused about whether to use "you" or "I", you should ask yourself this question:

If this sentence was only about me, which word would I use?

I'll tell you, Rob. You should use the word "I" in this sentence!! Would you say "Me tried everything?"

Well, you might if you were a caveman capable of multi-syllabic word formation. But I don't think you're a caveman, Rob.

I'll be fair, though. Another one of my favorite singers makes a blunder like this too, though it's not in the chorus of his song, so I can just plug my ears and sing 'la la la' when the verse comes up instead of switching radio stations like I have to when "Mockingbird" comes on.

Keith Urban's "Tonight I Want to Cry" has the following verse:

Alone in this house again tonight
I got the TV on, the sound turned down and a bottle of wine
There's pictures of you and I on the walls around me
The way that it was and could have been surrounds me

"Pictures of you and I?" Ack! It makes me shudder.

Please, fellas. Stop. Didn't you ever have to read Strunk and White?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica,

While I wholeheartedly agree that Rob's song lyrics at times are less than grammatically correct, I'm completely fine with it. He's Rob. To quote Delaney, "Mom -- who do you love more -- Rob Thomas or God?" Tough question, kid......

:)

We've been thinking about you guys. Let me know if there's any gift cards to restaurants or grocery stores we could send to your dad and MJ. Love, Abby

Monnik said...

Ha ha, Abby! I was totally thinking of you as I wrote this. :)

I think a gift card would be great, but I really don't know where to. MJ doesn't have a great appetite, but maybe a Target or Wal-Mart card? Thanks for thinking of us.