Monday, June 21, 2010

The Cancer Chronicles, Part 5

Well, I made it home this weekend. It was a long drive, and last week was one of the most emotionally draining weeks of my life. I felt pulled in many directions and there were so many things I wanted to get done while I was in New York. I accomplished most of what I set out to, and I feel pretty good about what I could do during my week out there.

MJ decided not to have the surgery. I know this was a difficult decision for her, but she seems at peace with it now. She doesn't want to put her body through any more trauma than it's already been through. She doesn't want her last few months to be spent recovering in a hospital bed. She wants to give her body a rest and enjoy the time she has left.

I wonder what I would have done in her situation. I honestly don't know how I would choose, given the options she had. It provided lots of food for thought for me on the drive home on Saturday.

We don't know how long she has. It could be weeks or months. But she and Dad have a nice place to live now, they move into the apartment we found them today. My brothers have agreed to help chip in with the cost of the apartment, and I'm really proud to have a family who will step up and help when needed like this.

Brother Z is flying out to NY today to be with them this week. Safe travels, Z.

1 comment:

NaysWay said...

I hope the last of her journey is pain-free and full of love.