Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Two things that made me smile this week

It's been a hard week. This week in April always is a rough one. For reasons unknown, I had a particularly rough time on Joseph's birthday this year. It marks nine years since he was stillborn. I was a complete grump on Sunday and Monday, and felt guilty for indulging in a woe-is-me attitude (there are far more things to be thankful for in my life than to bemoan, for sure) but sometimes you just have to roll with the sadness. Self indulgent or not, spending a few days being sad was cathartic.

In the end, though, optimism won out and I am feeling happy again. Thanks, in part, to these two smile-inducing moments:

1. Voice Message from Bumblebee:

Bumblebee is reading on her own now, and super excited about it. This morning, I left for work at 6 a.m. and she was up reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I got to work and she had left me this voice mail. That kid makes me smile, and hooray for reading!

Bumblebee's Voice Mail Message

2. Facebook conversation with Brother Z:

My brother Z tagged me in a photo that his girlfriend uploaded to Facebook. The photo was atrocious. It involved me on a horse and some unsightly stomach rolls (unfortunately, the stomach rolls were on me, not the horse.) I instantly removed the tag of me and sent him a facebook message.

For some reason, Brother Z calls me sisTOR (like sis - store). I don't really know why (he's kind of a freak) but it cracks me up. I'm easily amused, I guess. That's why this little Facebook conversation made me smile:
Mom, if you want a transcript of it, email me and I'll send it. It's hard to copy directly so I just grabbed a screenshot:
Facebook - Messages - Dude._1271855072384

3 comments:

Dan said...

It's always smile inducing when the youngsters find their sea legs and really enjoy reading. That sense of unbounded joy and accomplishment is great to be around.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I'm also sorry about your Joseph.
My Mom lost a baby boy and she and I still talk about it every once in awhile. He would be about 45 years old now.

Bumblebee has a cute voice. And YAY for reading!

Anonymous said...

You guys make me smile! I'm lucky if I can get my bro to text me once in a while...I think it's so cool how close you all are. And yay for reading!! Hope we can see you guys sometime soon. Are you headed this way anytime this summer??? -- Abby