Thursday, April 15, 2010

Photo Journal: San Antonio Trip

The Husband and I had the most amazing weekend. I had a business meeting in San Antonio on Thursday, so we decided to have TH fly down and stay on for the weekend. We got a room in a hotel on the Riverwalk and had no plans other than to relax and enjoy each other's company.

No plans. None.

Well, we had some things in mind for sure, but I won't go into them because this is a PG blog and my kids read it sometimes, and I wouldn't want to gross them out. I'm sure you can figure out what they were.

So here are some of the other things that we did.

We walked around the gorgeous San Antonio Riverwalk:
*photo of the riverwalk with colorful umbrellas over the restaurant tables lined up along the walkway:
San Antonio Riverwalk

*photo of an ivy covered bridge over the riverwalk:
SA Riverwalk

*photo of the riverwalk at dusk - with the lights on the buildings:
SA Riverwalk 2

I appreciated the little details like this staircase that had pots of flowers attached to the wrought iron:

Flower pot SA Riverwalk

The Husband was good natured with the pictures. He even smiled in most of them! Of course he had to remind me that he hates getting his picture taken, but I ignored him. He'll thank me someday, right?
*photo of TH standing in front of a fountain on the riverwalk:
SA Riverwalk

In addition to the Riverwalk, we walked around San Antonio's El Mercado (Market Square). The place was amazing, and we did some serious shopping there:
*photo of the market with lots of people and open shops:
SA El Mercado (Market Squar)

There's a famous restaurant at Market Square called Mi Tierra. Someone had told me that they had a wonderful bakery, so of course we went in. It was complete chaos in front of the pastry counter. But when we finally got there, this is what we saw:
*photo of a pastry counter with hundreds of delicious looking baked goods:
SA Mi Tierra Bakery

They had musicians playing a fancy marimba. They were really good too!
*photo of the musicians:
Mi Tierra Musicians

While we were out and about, we had to try on cowboy hats. I love the one that TH tried on here:
*photo of TH with a cowboy hat:
Cowboy Hat

I wish I'd have bought this hat for myself. But, I have no idea where I'd wear it, so I resisted the urge to spend money on it. Still. It's cute, right?
*photo of me with the cowboy hat:
Cowboy Hat

And of course, we had to check out the Alamo and the Cathedral where the Alamo heroes are buried:
*photo of TH and me in front of the Alamo:
The Alamo

There was an amazing tree in the courtyard that was so giant I couldn't take a picture of it all. All I wanted to do was climb it.
*photo of the tree:
Tree at the Alamo

The Husband got chills when he put his hand on this tomb that held the ashes of the Alamo heroes:
*photo of TH next to the tomb at the cathedral:
Tomb of The Alamo Heroes

So as you can tell, we did a lot of walking around, checking out the local sights, and peoplewatching. It was amazing, but for me, the best part of the weekend was when we relaxed and enjoyed each other's company. We were luxuriously lazy and slept in each morning, rising just in time for lunch. Sangria with salsa and chips - the perfect lunch:
*photo of wine and chips:
Sangria and salsa

We found a cigar and martini bar the first night of our stay and went back there each evening. We made some nice memories hanging out there, relishing the time we had to spend together.
*photo of TH and me sitting at a table together:
San Antonio D & Me

The Husband even bought me a rose while we were out one evening. (Awwww....) Isn't the vase I chose to put it in cute?
*photo of a rose in a Red Stripe bottle:
San Antonio Rose

I think these photos show that we had an amazing time on our trip. Reconnecting and spending time alone together is so important for couples. I wish TH and I could do it more often. Special thanks to my mother-in-law, Brother Z and his girlfriend for taking care of the kids (and the gimpy puppy) while we were gone. Without help from them, we wouldn't have been able to go on this much needed getaway.

And, finally, thanks to The Husband for an unforgettable weekend.

1 comment:

Jen Kow. said...

Glad you had fun! Your pictures turned out excellent.