Monday, November 2, 2009

What do you call a flying skunk?

Wait for it....

Wait for it...

A SMELLicopter!
*photo of Bumblebee dressed as a skunk.
skunk

In Iowa, we make our kids earn their Halloween candy. They have to tell us a joke. And if they don't, well, then we might not give them any candy. A laugh for a snicker bar seems like a fair trade to me.

I made a skunk costume for Bumblebee this year. It turned out pretty cute, even though she kept going 'pppssssssssssssssssssss' to pretend like she was spraying everyone. We got the inspiration because Grandma J dressed her dog up in a skunk costume. She decided to make herself a skunk outfit too, so there was a cute little family of skunks who went trick or treating for the night. I wish my camera would have cooperated, but for some reason, it took awful pictures of the skunk family. But believe me, they were adorable.

The night before Halloween was one of those special nights. The kids didn't have any social engagements (only because they were both grounded, but hey... I'll take my quality family time any way I can) so we carved some pumpkins - which is always so much more work than I remember it being:
*photo of Bumblebee and me scooping out pumpkin guts:
pumpkin carving

But they turned out nicely. Hollywood carved the ghost pumpkin and I did the other two.
*photo of carved pumpkins. One with four ghosts, one with a cat, and one with a dragon:
pumpkins

The older kids were too old to trick or treat (since they were grounded, they couldn't talk me into letting them go...) - so they stayed home and handed out candy.
*photo of all three kids in front of the house with their pumpkins:
kids halloween

I'm surprised at how quickly Halloween came and went this year. And now it's November, which is crazy because someone I know turns 16 this month. And her mother isn't ready for that milestone one bit.

7 comments:

Heather said...

You mean they turn 16 after they turn 15....La La La....not listening! And that first photo is too funny!

WebGal said...

That's such a cute costume. And for the record...that joke before a treat thing isn't an IOWA thing. It's a CENTRAL IOWA thing. I'd never heard of that craziness growing up. So I don't make kids tell a joke.

duchessjane.com said...

I LOVE homemade costumes like that. All of my childhood Halloween costumes (and a couple of my adult ones) were made by my mother and I treasure them.

Barb said...

Love the skunk costume.... and the pumpkins are great! We don't carve pumpkins here. They'd wilt in the heat.

BOSSY said...

Sooooooooo cute!

Swishy said...

Those are some totally fancy pumpkins! I'm impressed!

Barrie said...

Those are GREAT jack-o-lanterns!!