Monday, November 16, 2009

Sixteen

Hollywood - Sweet 16
I want to cry today
But I’m not certain why.
It’s not sadness, really;
More like a longing for the past.
A wish for one last time to hold her hand
As we cross the street;
Or to kiss a scrape on her knee.

I should not mourn the passing
Of her childhood:
The Mickey Mouse Motorcycle in his time out,
Bedtime stories and snuggle hugs,
Those Avril Lavigne days.
(Why’d you have to go and make things so Complicated?)

Instead, I must look forward to the firsts that are left:
Her first love.
Her first heartbreak.
Graduation, college, life.

She’s flapping those wings.
In an instant, she’ll soar high above me,
Taking on the world.
And I'll watch, tear-streaked, as she goes.

But today I will focus on the present.
I’m so proud of who she is.
My heart is full to see the joy of this day for her:
Sixteen.
Cars.
Boys.
Music.
Friends.
Living, loving, being.


***

Happy Birthday, Hollywood.

8 comments:

WebGal said...

Aw. That's great! And Happy Birthday Hollywood!

Kirsten said...

I wonder how many 16 year olds are so close to their moms? I love this...happy birthday and happy birthing day, mom! :D

Becca said...

So pretty... both these things.

Dan said...

It is always a mixed bag as they grow up and head off into the world. The days of the held hand and adoring looks are long gone but never forgotten.

P.S. I think you answered an alternative question on my blog - your answer is longest with one hand, the question is longest using only keys on one row - like qwerty or pottery for example.

Heather said...

We have a big birthday looming here as well-I am trying not to freak out, but we will see what happens.

Happy Birthday Hollywood! Enjoy 16 as it only comes around once.

Monnik said...

OMG, Did anyone notice the time that I published this post?! Totally unintentional - freaky!!

Jenster said...

*sigh* She's so beautiful. And I know how you feel. I hate that they have to grow up and yet I love seeing who they're turning into.

The Casual Perfectionist said...

What a great post! Oh, and thanks for making me teary. :)