Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grandma B.

The Husband's grandma passed away on Sunday.
*photo of Bumblebee hugging Grandma B:
Grandma B and Bumblebee

What a sweet woman she was - I have so many fond memories of relaxing, old-fashioned family gatherings out at her farmhouse. My kids were lucky to be able to know their great-grandma for so many years.

I'm sad for The Husband, he seemed surprised at how emotional this made him. Grandma B. was his last living grandparent, and her death was sudden, so I know that has to be hard for him.

And my mother-in-law, poor thing. She's handling this very well, from what I can tell, but she has had such a crazy year - so many things to deal with, and now the sadness of losing her mother will bring 2009 to a close. When it rains, it pours. I just really hope that 2010 is a sunny year for her. She needs a good year after this one.

Tomorrow is the funeral for Grandma B. Funerals are always such a mix of sadness and fellowship. It's nice to see the people who are gathered to celebrate someone's life, but it's unfortunate that an event like death is what brings everyone together.

Having her funeral the day before Thanksgiving will be hard. But I like to think about how long and full her life was, and what a wonderful family she leaves behind.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
~Kahlil Gibran

3 comments:

Dan said...

My condolences to you and the family. Losing grandparents and great grandparents is hard.

Karly said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Barb said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. She must have been a wonderful person to be loved so much.