Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm Boycotting Things with Feathers, Unless They're For Sleeping Purposes. Oh, and Feather Boas. Those are Nice.

Ah… contentment….

Here I sit in the comfort of my sun room. It is a beautiful, sunny afternoon with temperatures in the mid 70s. For background noise, I hear the buzzing of the cicadas in concert with my six year old’s sweet voice. She is playing outside in the flower garden beneath the sun room windows, singing a song she made up. The cat sits in a block of sun on the carpet at my feet and the ceiling fan provides a gentle breeze that blows my hair. Further inside the house, I hear the sound of the washer’s spin cycle. It’s a lovely sound, because it means I’m being productive. It’s 4:17 p.m., I’ve completed my work for the day, and all is right in the world.

Except that I I am freaking out because I have no flipping idea of what I should make for dinner. I am in a cooking rut. I am so tired of tacos, burgers, meatloaf, brats, and for the love of Pete – chicken. So. Tired. Of. Chicken. If I never saw another chicken for as long as I live, it would be too soon. Except for the baby chicks at the fair. Those are cute and don't count.

So. Anybody have any good recipe recommendations? For a moderately capable chef who likes to cook, sort of, sometimes, when she has time and doesn't have to clean up after herself? Cheap, fast, tasty. How hard can that be?

5 comments:

WebGal said...

Check out greenlitebites.com

Kay said...

Sausage and rice? *The sausage and rice is the easiest thing ever. 1 package spanish rice and 1 small package sweet italian sausage. Throw in some chopped green peppers and/or diced tomatoes for the veggies.
How about a nice vodka sauce with ravioli? (I live by the rule of 1 shot for the sauce, 2 for the cook.) I have an add and simmer recipe (takes an hour and a half total, but you're only at the stove 15 minutes) if you want :)
Pasta with fresh diced cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, a little bit of olive oil, and any kind of meat you're not boycotting. Easy, fast, and modifiable with whatever you have on hand.
Ooh boy... I'm hungry. And I haven't cooked a damn thing besides Chef Boyardee or takeout in almost 2 weeks.

Barb said...

Fajitas ~ I just cut up some peppers and onions and mushrooms with a little teriyaki and then throw in some precooked chicken. Set tomatoes, cheese, maybe a little cilantro and sour cream on the table along with the wraps and you are good to go!

Kari said...

Ground turkey. Love the stuff.

I have a few recipes I can forward on to you if you would like. Most are wwery but can be messed around with to add more flavor for the entire family.

Monnik said...

oooh, great ideas, guys. Thanks! Kari- yes, send the recipes my way. I'll DM you my email addy on twitter.