Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Golden Butterfly

Photo of a golden butterfly perched on a flower:
One day last week, Bumblebee went through a “poop” stage. She would not stop talking about poo! Maybe it was because The Husband and The Boy were watching a DVD of that stupid dog (can’t think of his name) that’s on Conan O'Brien's show who always says things about poop, or maybe it was because she was in a goofy mood. Either way, she would not stop blabbing on and on about poop. It started to get annoying. The girls and I were in the car on our way to the beach and Bumblebee was in the back seat, chattering away about it. I told her to stop talking about poop – that it was enough and I was getting grossed out.

She looked at me in the rear view mirror, smiled sweetly and said, “Ok, Mommy.”

I marveled at her obedience, thinking smugly about how awesome I am at parenting.

“Hey guys…” Bumblebee said to us.

“Yeah?” Hollywood answered.

“I once saw a golden butterfly in the yard.”

Now this is what six year old girls should talk about, I thought.

“And then it pooped.” Bumblebee collapsed in a fit of giggles.

I couldn’t keep a straight face either. That kid... Smart-ass in training, I tell ya.

No comments: