Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vacation with the Fam - Day Five

First of all... today is Bumblebee's sixth birthday, so Happy Birthday to my baby who's not much of a baby anymore!!

And now to the vacation recap...

Yesterday was kind of a chill out day. We started out making plans to go on the ferry to Washington Island and take the train tour up there, but on the drive up there, we realized that we were hungry and hadn't thought about lunch!

So, we scrapped our plans and stopped in Ephraim at this cute little soda shop/burger restaurant:
*photo of an old fashioned restaurant - 50s style:
Look how happy I am in the picture below. It's because I FINALLY got my fried cheese curds! Of course, the kids devoured them and I only got to eat about four nuggets of tasty goodness, but that's likely for the best.
*photo of Bumblebee, me, and Hollywood at the restaurant:
We decided to walk around the town for a bit. I had hoped to get some shopping in, but little girls who have to pee all the time and a pair of boys who don't like shopping much quickly made me realize that it wasn't going to be pretty if I made them travel from shop to shop to look at crafty little things. So, we walked for a bit - I took more photos like these two:
*photo of a huge white house up on a hill:

*photo of an interesting structure - a garage type building built into the side of the road.
We decided to head back to the house and chill out for the rest of the day. I had some shopping to do for Bumblebee's birthday, so we came back and played horseshoes, took rides on the paddleboat, and relaxed by the fire.
*photo of The Boy and me in the paddleboat:
*photo of Bumblebee and The Husband on the paddleboat:
I took this photo while out on the boat. It's not a particularly spectacular shot, but it shows you how amazing this water is - you can barely see across the bay.
*photo of the water meeting the horizon with nothing but sky above it.
In the early evening, we heard music coming from down the street. It was creepy music box type music that reminded me of clowns and the kids of Harry Potter... Turns out it was an ice cream truck! The kids and I got a big kick out of that, and since I had my camera with me (as usual) I was able to take this picture of them placing their order:
*photo of the kids with the ice cream truck:
And here they are, eating their ice cream:
*photo of Hollywood eating the ice cream:

*photo of The Boy and Bumblebee with their ice cream:

I went inside to make Bumblebee's birthday cake - she helped me with the frosting:
*photo of Bumblebee's very homely looking birthday cake:
It's surely the ugliest cake I've ever made for her birthday, but she loves it. We bought a Littlest Pet Shop set - one of a campfire (because that's our theme for the week!) and put it on the cake. The dome above the animal's campfire glows in the dark.

The sprinkles on the cake are self explanatory: Bumblebee helped me with the frosting, and sprinkles are required when you're turning six.

Today we're celebrating Bumblebee's big day by letting her choose some activities. We are also heading into Green Bay to check out Lambeau and the Packers Hall of Fame. Should be another fun one!

4 comments:

WebGal said...

Well, Happy Birthday to Bumblebee! What a great way to spend a birthday!

Your vacation sounds sooo relaxing.

And tasty. Mmm. fried cheese curds....

Debbielou said...

Happy Birthday ! I love the photos and think the cake looks great ! x

Prairie Chicken said...

I almost feel like I'm on vacation with you!

Swishy said...

How fun! Happy happy birthday to your Bumblebee!