Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Bloom is off the Rose

I’m officially over my honeymoon period with Facebook which, as you may have noticed, completely killed my blog. I really enjoyed it for a while, and I created the goofy status updates like everyone else. It was interesting checking out photos of people I went to high school with and seeing what their cute kids look like. Taking the occasional quiz here and there was fun, and becoming a fan of things like “morning sex” and “nutella” has its merits, I suppose.

I really enjoy Facebook as a tool to stay in touch with my family. I have about a thousand cousins. Even my aunts and uncles have pages these days. We have a great time when we get together, but that’s not all that often anymore. I love viewing my family members' vacation pictures and reading about their lives. Like my cousins who went to Europe earlier this year, and my super inspiring cousin who just completed a triathalon. Without Facebook, I may not have even known about those things until long after the fact.

I have a ton of other “friends” on FB. Most of them are people I haven’t talked to in years and years. But some of them are my neighbors, co-workers, etc. Last week, I had posted a status update where I complained about the screaming 2-year-old boy who I had the misfortune of sharing a hospital waiting room with. While I was out for my evening walk the other night, one of my neighbors stopped and asked me who was in the hospital. It startled me that she knew something like that about me without me telling her first. And though I didn’t mind her asking – she was being friendly and concerned - I realized that I had, in fact, told her (and hundreds of other people) about being in the hospital. It really made me realize how far reaching Facebook information really is. I was kind of deluding myself thinking that only the people who comment back and forth with me regularly were seeing my updates. But of course, that's not the case.

So, I’ve eased up on my Facebook usage a bit, and who knows - maybe I’ll start writing in my blog again. Lord knows that working on my writing by crafting blog posts will serve me better than playing farming games on Facebook.

And don’t even get me started on Twitter… I gave it a try and didn’t like it. Actually, it wasn’t that I didn’t like it so much as I didn’t really understand it. And that’s probably not a bad thing.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

You know, maybe that is also why I have stopped blogging so much. I shorten everything I might blog about into a cute short sentence or two.

Swishy said...

I totally think Facebook is taking people away from blogs! I am hit and miss with Facebook ... sometimes I am on constantly, sometimes not.

lyzzydee said...

I like facebook for somethings, but I still blog to have a record, wel;come back!!