Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sisters

I grew up with five younger brothers. Every time Mom and Dad would announce a pregnancy, I’d hope that this would be the it - I’d finally get a sister.

And then the phone call would come from the hospital. “You have a new baby brother!” Mom would say. By the time my youngest brother was born, I knew not to hope for a Rachel. Of course it was a Zachary.

And while my brothers are great in their own ways, I never got to share girl things with them. It was sort of lonely. Somehow, God knew he needed to help me out with some things, and he gave me amazing 'girl' skills. I may have missed my natural calling in life, because I can braid, curl, cut, style, color, and even perm my own hair. With about a 95% success rate. (The failure was on Sun-In. Don’t use it. It’s bad.) I guess God figured He had to give me those abilities since I didn’t have a sister to help me out with those things. I’m also good with make-up. Which is pretty amazing since Mom never wore it – I just had to learn on my own. And fashion? Well… I love it. I have a knack for my own personal style and it’s one of the things I ‘get into’. So it’s interesting that I found my way to these types of activities when my family wasn’t about fashion or hair or makeup.

My family was all about soccer and hacky-sacks and socks that were so crusty that they stood on their own without a foot in them. It was turtles in the bathtub, pee on the toilet seat, and putting bottle rockets in a ground-squirrel’s mouth to ‘see what happens’. There were no sounds of dainty china cups clinking during a classy tea party. Instead you could hear the rhythmic whack-whack of a tennis ball being slammed against the garage door or a rowdy game of 1 on 1 at the basketball hoop. We didn’t play dress-up, unless you count the time I pretended Luke was a girl. I couldn’t help it – he had these amazing blonde curls! Nobody sat and listened to records with me, I was alone in my love for Michael Jackson and Madonna. My brothers were too busy taking rides down the stairs in sleeping bags.

Do you feel sorry for me yet?

You shouldn’t, really, because while I had an interesting childhood, my brothers are really pretty great. Over the past several years, as they’ve grown up and gotten married, I’ve gained sisters-in-law. Which is fantastic! Because now, the levels of estrogen almost match the testosterone. I’m no longer the lonely girl in a group of crazy boys. My oldest brother’s wife has been along for the ride for many years. They’ve been together since high school. Until a few years ago, it was just Kim and me against the boys. But then two more brothers married, and one is in a long term relationship. Now family gatherings aren’t only about soccer, football, and beer. Conversations can now be about fashion, celebrities, recipes, hair color, menstrual cramps, pregnancy, and chocolate. Most of my new ‘sisters’ live close enough to see often, and we have a great time when we see each other, but Girlie lives in California. I wish she lived closer. She has an amazing fashion sense and her shoe collection is to die for. I wonder what her shoe size is...

This is the worst Photoshop job of all, but I had to get Girlie in the picture! So we'll just pretend that it's raining and she's taller than all of us, though that's not the case. :)

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

It's very cool that you all get along.

WebGal said...

Funny...I have two sisters and we never did any of those things you described possibly doing with sisters.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I have 1 sister and we are COMPLETELY different creatures. My daughter grew up with no sisters or girl cousins. I think that's why she really wanted to be in a sorority.

You must have been thrilled to have daughters.

Swishy said...

HOW FUN! I never would have thought of it that way. (And, yes, Sun-In is the devil. TOTALLY!)