Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The World According to Bumblebee

Bumblebee and I have our best conversations in the car. There's nothing to distract us, and for some reason, she is extremely talkative while we're in a moving vehicle. Even more so than when we're at home.

The other day, we were going to the store and I called my sister-in-law to wish her a happy birthday. My brother and sis-in-law are expecting their first baby in June. Bumblebee heard me ask G to send pictures of her baby belly, so we started talking about the new baby.

"Mama, is Aunt G having a boy or a girl?"

"We think it's a boy, sweetie."*

In the rear-view mirror, I saw Bumblebee pout. "Everyone has boys," she huffed.

"Well, not everyone... Uncle B and Aunt N have two girls, remember? Uncle J and Aunt N also have a baby girl..."

She ignored my explanation, and declared, "Mom, it's not fair. There are more boys in the world than girls."

Since her Kindergarten class is made up of 6 girls and 14 boys, I can see where she'd get this thought.

After a few seconds of rare silence, Bumblebee sighed and concluded, "Well. I guess I have to like boys since I'm going to marry one someday."


*I never say for certain anymore. Not since an ultrasound tech told me that my second born was a baby girl. Little "Brooke Cecile" was born "The Boy."

6 comments:

Barb said...

Out of the mouths of babes! I'm thinking it's a good day when the boys outnumber the girls. Gives us the pick of the litter

Kirsten said...

She is too cute. My son is in a class that is more girls than boys...which is fine by him. He's a bit of a ladies' man. He has equal #s of close friends that are female as male, which makes his dad and I happy. We were the same way growing up and still have plenty of friends of both sexes.

Travis Erwin said...

My son's K class has 6 boys and 13 girls.

ALF said...

That is really funny because recently we have known WAY more girl babies than boys. I guess it's all about where you live. Here in the wild west there appear to be only girls.

Barrie said...

6 girls and 14 boys??? That poor teacher! Love Bumblebee's take on life!

Andrea Frazer - Pass the Zoloft said...

Your daughter really is adorable. Did you really think you were having a girl until your son popped out? I wonder if that happens less these days with technology stronger. What with fetuses having facebooks accounts and all that.