Tuesday, March 10, 2009

File This One Under "Incredibly Dumb Ideas"

I gave up chocolate for Lent. You know, the smooth, sweet, sometimes gooey nectar of the gods? Yep. Gave that up. Right in the middle of Easter candy season.

Why yes, I am completely insane and moronic. Thanks for asking. That picture is making my mouth completely water right now.

Today is my 14th day without it. I really haven't had a single ounce of chocolate - for real. For the first time in my life, I haven't cheated on a Lenten promise. I've had no lattes (because, really, without chocolate, you may as well drink coffee black), no candy bars (except for that one salted nut roll that I had last week before recommitting to Weight Watchers), no cookies, cake, etc.

I've hidden the jar of Nutella. It's keeping company with the bag of chocolates (Dove! Dark!!) that webgal got me for my birthday.

I'm dying for just a taste, just one little bite to let it melt slowly on my tongue... But no! I must prove to myself that I can do this. At first, I was like "Hey, it's only 40 days, I can do this, right?" And then I did the math. Lent is actually forty-seven days long.

Which means that I have 33 days left. I am only 1/3 rd of my way through this thing.

Sigh. These carrot sticks that I'm eating aren't helping one bit.

7 comments:

WebGal said...

If this helps...my pastor was saying that TECHNICALLY Sundays aren't a part of lent (which is why they don't count in the 40 days), so you can have chocolate then. :)

Barb said...

Oh man ~ that's rough!

Monnik said...

My mom said the same thing (about Sundays not counting) but that seems like cheating to me. So I'm going to try to soldier on until Easter.

krobzoo said...

Actually Sundays are not counted because Sunday is a day of celebration and outside the Lenten calendar. And I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with a piece of chocolate cake, well maybe the alcohol I gave up for Lent.

Tiff said...

I gave up cookies. During the Girl Scout cookie drive. I have 3 boxes of Caramel Delights hidden away so the husband doesn't eat them before Easter.

writtenwyrdd said...

You all have dedication!

Debbielou said...

I've given up chocolate also !!! and biscuits.

There's a big bar in the fridge right now and it's been really hard not opening it -I had also heard about the Sunday "truce" but don't think it's quite right so am counting down the days as well x