- A woman, small and brave, said goodbye to the love of her life while she was lauded for her last gift to him: the unending care and comfort she gave as he made his way out of this life.
- My cousins - six of them and their significant others - came together to give each other support after a long, exhausting journey though their father's illness.
- A three year old girl gave up the natural rowdiness of her age to allow her mama to hold her closely for comfort during an entire funeral mass.
- Husbands tenderly put their arms around their wives and let them cry while they wiped tears away from their own eyes. Girlfriends stroked the backs of their men softly in an unspoken gesture that said, "I'm here for you, and I'm so sorry..."
- A friend of my uncle's delivered a stunning and unwavering performance of Ave Maria that brought tears to many eyes.
- The youngest of my uncle's children, still in high school, had her best friend at her side. She held my cousin's hand and hugged her when she needed it most.
- A small farming community, packed into a church that was too small for their numbers, told stories of the man who was their beloved veterinarian. There was even a story about bull testicles in there, and what would a funeral be without that?
- At the cemetery, grandchildren sent balloons up to heaven in their grandpa's honor. I saw them looking up into the sun - watching the balloons until they disappeared (quickly - it was windy!) into the sky.
- Back at the family farmhouse, my cousin sat casually on her big brother's lap. They talked and joked - the conversation was light, but the closeness between them was not lost on me.
- The earlier generation of brothers and sisters banded together to comfort my aunt. The wine flowed along with their stories, and laughter was more prevalent than tears.
Photographer of the Week: April 10 ~ 14, 2017
8 hours ago