Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Could Have So Easily Overlooked This...

Today I found something extraordinary in the mundane; a nugget that was nearly overlooked amidst the chaos of my morning routine.

I was in the bathroom, getting ready for work - straightening my hair and running late, as usual. Bumblebee had the lid down on the toilet and was sitting on it, flipping through a book her teacher gave her for Christmas and chattering away at me.

I'm not a morning person. God help me, but I think that talk in general should be prohibited until I'm at least halfway through my second cup of coffee. My youngest child, however, does not share my disdain for the early hours. She is a chatterbox in the mornings. Sometimes this incessant chatter gets in the way of my mental to do list in the mornings, and, though it shames me, I'll admit it: I become annoyed. This morning, Bumblebee kept talking on and on and - Oh for the love of GOD - on and on. Annoyed and hurried though I was, I didn’t say anything to her to discourage the talk, and I didn't ask her to leave the bathroom so I could finish getting ready in peace. And thank God for that.

The Boy was running around the house getting ready for school, doing his morning dog chores. I kept occasionally calling out to him to keep him on task. I had a particularly stubborn section of hair that didn’t want to behave, no matter how I used the flat iron or what kind of product I used. When I tried to work on the errant piece of hair, the cord of the flat iron knocked over my hair spray. Argh. I was frustrated. You know, typical getting ready in the morning routine. And all the while, the sound of Bumblebee’s voice was in the background.

I sighed. Decided that maybe today was a good ponytail day. And then I froze as I realized what was happening. If I could have gotten a magic remote control and stopped life for a moment, this would have been a good scene.

Bumblebee was reading me the book her teacher gave her. She wasn’t just looking through the pages and reciting cherished lines that have been memorized for years - this was an unfamiliar book. She was actually sounding out the letters and reading about a penguin who asks Santa to let him fly.

B: “Fuh - luh - eeee. Flea?”
Me: “No, the ‘y’ makes the ‘eye’ sound in that word.”
B: “Fuh – luh – eye. Fluh-eye. FLY!”

She was really reading. What an amazing event to witness. In the midst of my crazy morning, I tried to reflect upon the moment so that I could sear this memory into my brain, this event that could have gotten overlooked if I’d have succumbed to my irritation and frenzy. I wonder how many other monumental moments I have missed in the hustle of everyday living. For me, this is a wake up call to try and be more aware of my surroundings. Because that kid’s only going to be in Kindergarten and learning to read for a blink of an eye.

6 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I know exactly what you mean.

WebGal said...

Awww...that's sweet. Good for you for slowing down and recognizing the moment!!

Swishy said...

Ohhhhh! Goosebumps. Totally.

UmmAslam said...

Wow! Great story and reminder thank you.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Wow. I gotta take a tip from you!!

It was easy to pay attention to Plato. He didn't yammer on constantly. I was diligent about listening and responding to everything.

Lulu talks NON-STOP. It's really really hard to give her the same sort of feedback. But when I put a lot of effort into it, I do get some gems.

I never thought I might miss a milestone. It gives me the shivers!

Thanks for sharing.

Jenster said...

What a great post! Really, really great! And you know me! I'm not a morning person, either. lol