Sunday, November 23, 2008

Catching Snowflakes on her Tongue

On Saturday, we got our first measurable snowfall. I was full of dread when I saw it. Immediately, I thought with dread of the nasty things that winter brings: icy, dangerous roads; stressful shopping trips amid crowds of grouchy people; teeth-chattery cold; that howling wind that makes it's way through all seven layers of clothing, no matter what you're wearing; pitch darkness at 5 p.m., and so on...

Thankfully, my pessimism wasn't infectious. Bumblebee squealed with delight at the sight of the snow falling. She ran outside and caught snowflakes on her tongue:

Her optimism made me rethink my stance on the snow falling outside. I began to mentally check off the wonderful things about winter: snuggling up on the couch in front of a crackly fire while reading a good book; making hot chocolate and Christmas cookies; spending long days with family drinking wine and eating fabulous food; wearing fuzzy socks and soft sweat pants; and snuggling under warm blankets with wiggly kids.

The fact that my knee-jerk reaction to the snow was negative made me think. When did I stop enjoying the little things in life? Why did the sight of beautiful, fat snowflakes fill me with dread? I had nowhere to go and for once, a completely free day on my hands. I decided to take a cue from Bumblebee, and I caught a few of those snowflakes on my tongue. Then I snuggled up in front of my fireplace with a good book and a nice hot cup of hazelnut coffee. And I stayed there. For the entire day.

Winter's inevitability isn't all bad...

7 comments:

WebGal said...

Aw...great picture. I agree on enjoying the beauty of it now. We can have the pessimism and dread in February when we've had enough of the snow. :)

Travis Erwin said...

I wish it would snow here. Deer hunting has been tough because it has been too warm.

Karly said...

I LOVE that picture! That's just gorgeous!

Jess Riley said...

What a fun picture!

(And what did you read??)

SUV Mama said...

Awesome picture. Now that I live where it doesn't snow, I can totally appreciate the beauty in it. :)

Debbielou said...

Beautiful - I love the snow - beats the rain !

Mom In Scrubs said...

Isn't it wonderful how kids can save us from sliding down that slippery slope of negative-ism? I promise myself that I will never be that grumpy, negative old woman. I want to be the smiling old lady that everyone loves, with an infectious smile and twinkly eyes...

That picture is frame-worthy! Or state-fair worthy....hmmm?