Sunday, October 26, 2008

What I've Been Up To...

I've said it before, many times, and far less eloquently, but this phrase sums it all up:
The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.
It's been a very, very busy week.

It started last weekend with my sister-in-law's bachelorette party. We had fun. Too much of it. I could elaborate, but will instead keep the pact of the sisterhood and remain silent. It was a great time, as you can tell from the smiles on our faces in this picture (eek, those booth photos are not flattering):


The next day we were hurting as we gathered to do the decorations for the wedding. I had no voice and felt like microwaved cat barf.

It went downhill from there. I had a week long off-site meeting for work. It involved presentations and microphones which only echoed my squeaks. My voice was not to return until Friday. In addition to my voice being gone, I began to cough. And cough. And cough some more. I was not well. Finally went to the doctor and got some antibiotics and some wacky cough medicine. The cough syrup gave me the bed spins and really bad dreams.

On Wednesday, my sister-in-law made 225 caramel apples for the wedding. I went over to her place to help wrap them after work. They took her forever to make, but they truly were the hit of the reception - they turned out amazing and were tasty too. (I should know - I've had two of them today!)

Thursday night was the rehearsal dinner. It was great to see the family all together, and we had a nice time. While we were at the reception, my mom got the news that she'd gotten the Director position at her work. I'm so happy for her! We enjoyed the rehearsal dinner, and the men stayed out after the women went home to bed.

Friday was the wedding. Sister-in-law #1 went with me to the reception hall to help decorate. It was chaos and we weren't able to help much. But we tried. Then we went home and got ready for the wedding.

The wedding was beautiful. My brother and sister-in-law are a great match, and the event was perfect. I took very few pictures because I was too busy and I just didn't think to take any. Bumblebee was the flower girl and she did a great job.

The reception was fun, though the DJ's dance music was questionable at first. Bumblebee enjoyed dancing with her daddy:


And then she and The Boy passed out while the grownups kept the party going:

We finally dragged ourselves home at about midnight because Hollywood and I had a race to run in the morning.

The race was great. I still wasn't feeling well, but my friend webgal was running it and I wanted to run with her. She finished the couch to 5K program and this was her first 5K to run in, so I knew I couldn't miss it. We met up and ran the race. Webgal did such an awesome job! She beat me by at least a few minutes. Here's a pic of us before the race:

After the race, we met up with my mother-in-law, father-in-law, and aunt-in-law for lunch. MIL is a breast cancer survivor, so they all walked the race too. It was great to celebrate her victory over cancer with the walk and a nice lunch. Here's a pic of us after lunch. I love how you can see aunt-in-law in the background taking the pic!

After the lunch, I met up with my extended family on my Dad's side to tailgate at an Iowa State football game. We had a great time, lots of food, family, and fun. My uncle Mike did a lot of smack talking before our game of bean bag toss, and though I gave it my all, he did end up kicking my ass in the game. You can bet that I'll be practicing my bean bag toss all year so I can win the rematch in 2009.

Here's a pic of the crew. Crazy bunch, aren't we? (See all of those blue stickers? They're Obama stickers!!)
Hollywood hung out with my cousin who is six days younger than she is:

Bumblebee found a friend and they played together for hours. As you can see, they had a blast, though I did have to pull three slivers out of her hand today:

The Boy was a bit more low key - he enjoyed the tailgate party in usual Boy fashion, by playing his DS in the back of my dad's truck:


We returned home, exhausted, and I went to bed early. Today I am not ashamed to say that I haven't moved far from the couch all day. It's been a crazy week. I'm looking forward to a bit of a down week in the days ahead.

Congratulations to my brother K and his new bride D. We love you both very much!!!

5 comments:

WebGal said...

You've been quite busy! Great pictures...except for the one with me in it. :)

Jenster said...

HOLY COW! What a weekend. It all looks so fun! I'm sorry you felt like microwaved cat barf, but I have to wonder what exactly that feels like and how do you know??

Congrats on doing the race!! And THANKS!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Loved the sleepy wedding guest pictures. I have some like that from my husband's sister's wedding about 14 years ago.

Congrats on the roadrace.

Debbielou said...

My goodness you have been busy ! Just catching up with everyones blogs before I knuckle down to mine ! Looks like you all had a great time x

Mom In Scrubs said...

Love the Daddy-daughter picture...that's one for the graduation party. Which is a long way away. Yeah. LONG.

My bestt to K and D!

Seems like he was sleepwalking down the stairs in his underoos just yesterday...