Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kindergarten and the 'SH' Word

Bumblebee is learning her letters and what sounds they make. Every day, she will pause while saying a word and sound out the first letter to figure out what it starts with. “puh- puh- PARTY. Party starts with P!” She’ll exclaim.

Last night she was in a giggly mood and thought it was hysterical that she knew what letter the words ‘butt’ and ‘pee’ and ‘poop’ start with. Her eyes would get big and she’d say “Mom, I can sound out the BAD WORDS too!” I explained to her that 'butt', 'pee', and 'poop' weren’t bad words.

She paused for a moment and then said, “Momma, what letter makes the shhhh sound?”

I wondered where this was going, but I told her that it was a combination of the S and H letters.

In a hushed voice, she said, “I know another bad word that starts with S and H.”

Really? Of course you know what word I was thinking. But I was surprised that it would come to her mind. I asked her what word she meant?

“I’m not allowed to say it.” She said.

I gave her permission and told her to say it softly.

“Are you sure you won’t be mad?” she asked.

I was sure.

“Ok…” pause. “Well… the word {in a loud whisper} shut up starts with S and H.”

I had to stifle a laugh. So I said, “You’re right. Those aren’t good words. But they do start with S and H.”

“Yep. You should always say ‘shush-it’ instead.”

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Just wait...last weekend I bought a box of PB Captain Crunch as a treat. DS (7.5) looks at it and says "CRAPtain Crunch," then falls on the floor in a fit if giggles. What a dork--he gets that from his dad.

:p

Travis Erwin said...

My six year old would say share was a bad word.

Swishy said...

Ha ha ha ... I love it!

Jenster said...

Heehee. My kids had all kinds of "bad" words when they were her age.

That same one; "F" for Fat (Huh??); "D" for dummy... I love kids!!!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Lulu just told me this weekend that the "F-word" was "dumb"

Hee hee!