Monday, August 4, 2008

Quarterback Controversy, My Left Butt Cheek...


There wasn't a dry eye when you said your goodbye,
'twas the end of an era so great.
But you looked rather foolish
when you said you were kidding;
that retirement could definitely wait.
***

Then - oh the drama! A sportscasters dream,
Your story led all of the shows.
What will Ted Thompson do
Will he bench Aaron Rodgers?
It was a game of 'nobody knows.'
***

The speculation continued and the story went wild
with talk of your plight everywhere.
25 Million to retire?
Trade you to Tampa?
Can it be that the Packers really don't care?!
***

And now their strategy has shifted, and you boarded a plane
To join your teammates in Green Bay.
A quarterback controversy,
Right there at Lambeau.
Which QB will earn the spot to play?
***

Um... dumb asses? (And by dumb asses I mean Ted Thompson and his staff...) FAVRE earned the spot to play when he carried the team during the past sixteen years, despite broken thumbs, other injuries and personal tragedies.

The Husband is right. Ted Thompson should be fired. You don't try to send BRETT effing FAVRE away if he wants to play. You welcome him back with ceremony.

Who's ready for some FOOTBALL????

7 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I've been waiting for you to chime in on this.

I'm sure you'll curse my good name for saying so, but I think Favre is screwing up here. I think he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. I 've always liked and respected Favre, but hang up the cleats man. Hang 'em up.

Travis Erwin said...

.

Monnik said...

I could never curse your good name, Travis! I know lots of people who think the same way you do.

Yeah, Favre's kind of being a diva about it all, but still... if the guy wants to play, you let him play. You know?

duchessjane.com said...

The problem is promises. They gave their word to Rodgers. Any team that breaks their word to a player who has stood on the sidelines for as long as Rodgers has will never be able to sign a quality player again, because those players will know that the Packers word doesn't mean anything.

The Chicago Tribune had a great story last week about the consequences of sticking it to one player to satisfy a diva. It hurts the organization tremendously in the long run.

Monnik said...

Yeah, they made a promise to Rodgers. and Aaron's been a stand up guy about it all. But at the end of the day, he's unproven. And if Favre wants to play, you don't give him his walking papers and send him on over to Minnesota...

I would die if I saw him in purple and gold.

Mama P said...

I wonder if the media would have such coverage and/or sympathy for a woman in the same position as Favre? Likely we'd hear much more of, "What a bixxxh. Tell her to get out now. End of story."

It's a weird thing. And while I truly have nothing against men, I often wonder what my life would be like if I had a penis swinging between my legs instead of a toddler.

duchessjane.com said...

I don't think they should give him his walking papers. If he wants to play because he loves the game so much, then he can take Rodgers' position on the bench and see what it's like. If his attitude is that he's #1 QB, in the spotlight, or nothing - then I'd rather see him gone and I don't even care if he's a Viking or a Bear. He has had a lot of opportunities to go out on top. For me, this isn't even about whether he's *able* to play the game anymore. It's about ego. Either go out on top in all of the glory, or learn how to fade into the background and help your team build and grow stronger as you slowly ease out of the spotlight. You can't have it both ways. At least, not without looking like a egomaniac.

It's not Rodgers' fault that he's unproven. I've been impressed with what I've seen. He's paid his dues. His career should not spend one more minute on hold.