Saturday, August 2, 2008

Another Running Post

I've been very slowly increasing my mileage each week, and am back to where I was last fall before my hip injury and winter laziness sidelined me.

It feels good, mostly. My hip still likes to bug me once in a while, but it's minor, and so for the most part I'm injury free.

I'd like to lose 15 pounds. You'd think that I would be losing weight since I've been increasing my mileage steadily since May. But no. Not me...

The only way I've ever lost weight is to restrict my calories. I was really successful at it a few years ago. I lost about 35 pounds while on Weight Watchers. I looked great, but the weight loss was achieved without much exercise.

This time around, I wanted to get fit and lose weight. The folks on the running forums that I'm addicted to I frequent are always saying to 'run for fitness, and eat to lose weight'. Which basically means that running isn't a magic bullet for weight loss, healthy eating habits are. Nothing new there.

But that's hard for me! I know it's mostly mental. I'm trying to get away from that I ran today so I can have a cheeseburger mentality. But it's tough to get past that thought. I'm doing better about that, but am not perfect. Another thing I struggle with is that running makes me hungrier! (no surprise there...) It also makes me tired, and when I get that mid afternoon head-bob sleepiness while sitting in my cube at Giant Ass Bank, peanut m&ms are a great pick me up. It's a vicious circle (cycle? which is the correct term there?) that I deal with. I whine that I'm not losing weight and yet I eat m&ms. Dumb!

I suppose that if I get to the point where I'm running 30+ miles a week, I might see some weight loss as a result of the running, but for now, my 15 miles a week (which I'm very proud to have worked up to...) isn't doing much.

I guess if I changed my motto away from the one below, I'd fare better in the weight loss department, huh?

YUM. Doesn't that cake look awesome?

What?

6 comments:

Barb said...

My doctor told me that it's the sugar that makes me crash in the afternoons and I've found that if I stay away from sugar during the day ~ I do better. I fully respect you for running ~ I just can't make myself... but wish you all the success in the world

Travis Erwin said...

Good for you. I never run and yet I still eat those cheeseburgers.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Ohhhh, Peanut Crack&M's.
I have never been able to run without pain, even when I was in high school.
I like to walk, but before work I'm useless and after work I'm too tired. As soon as the FL weather cools down a little I'm going to start again.

WebGal said...

You are my running hero!

And that cake looks nasty.

Debbielou said...

The cake looks brill ! I do exactly the same - I go to the gym and burn off half a biscuit - come home and eat half the pack !

The SUV Bitch said...

Start weight lifting. Seriously. You will be fit AND look great, and it's just three days a week of a little extra lifting- no extra running necessary!