Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ribbit, Ribbit!


Bumblebee found a toad yesterday. She played with it all evening, and, without our knowledge, trapped the little warty guy in an upside down storage container all night so that she could play with it all day today too.

Poor toad! What do you suppose is going through his head when a human, 200 times his size, picks him up and takes him from place to place for the better part of two days?

They visited the rock garden together. Bumblebee built a toad home for him in the sand by the playhouse. She 'helped' the toad slide down the slide. He also took a dip in the kiddie pool, went for a ride on the porch swing, got carted around in a wagon, and was force-fed my purple clematis blooms. (I do hope they're not toxic to amphibians.) Bumblebee was going to force the croaky-one to play dress-up with Barbie clothes in her bedroom before I intervened. I made her put him down. Croaky was dazed and sat frozen for a moment before he realized he was free. Then he hopped away.

I think this little guy's going to need some toad therapy after these two days of torture. That is, if he survives The Husband's lawn mower. Hop away fast, Toady!

7 comments:

Mama P said...

Well, if she has this much luck with a toad, imagine when she finds her prince.

debra said...

when my kids were younger, they had "Friend Toad" who lived around our garden. He (or she) spent many a night in containers, and always managed to survive! Friend toad was one animal they didn't try to dress up.

Debbielou said...

My hubby hates all things toad and frog like - he has a real phobia of them - we've had several amphibian episodes throughout our life time - all very memorable !!

Great photos !!

MrsTSalazar said...

Poor little toad man, I bet he's in Canada by now! Or maybe he's wondering where his princess (captor) is?

That had me laughing! Thanks!

Swishy said...

Ohhhh, sooo cute. I remember finding little "pets" when I was a kid.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

My nieces LOVE to catch toads. The most recent one was named Lewis. They promised me they wouldn't drop him on his head like the last toad. They thought the previous toad was very well-behaved. I think he was in a drop-induced coma.

Steph said...

Toad-loving girls rule! Yay Bumblebee!