Saturday, June 28, 2008

Running - Not the Frazzled Kind

I'm so proud of myself. It's Saturday. You know, the day we get to sleep in once our kids reach that magical age where they can pour their own bowl of cereal and milk with only a small mess to deal with later? It's Saturday - and I got up at 6 a.m. and ran four miles.

I was nervous because it's the first time since last fall than I've ran that distance. But once I got the kinks worked out, things went well. It usually takes me a mile or so to get into an easy rhythm with my running. For the first mile, my legs, knees, and hips show their displeasure with a twinge here and an ache there. But it's that inner voice of mine that really irritates me. Until I get past the 'warm-up' stage, that voice is telling me that I'm a complete moron, and a run is NOT a good idea, thankyouverymuch. As I get more miles beneath my feet, this voice gets quieter, so that's cool. I shouldn't have been nervous. The 4 miles was no problem - I could have gone farther, but I'm following a program and very slowly increasing my mileage, so I didn't.

The sun is shining, the birds were singing, it was 62 degrees when I got up and there was a nice, soft breeze. It was a perfect time to run. I love the feeling of just zoning out and letting my body take over.

Another good thing? When I got home, the house was still quiet... Everyone was still asleep and I got to have some rare peace and quiet here in the house - for a few minutes at least.

5 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I admire you initiative because I could never make myself get out of bed and run.

Jenster said...

You totally rock!!

WebGal said...

I like your new flowery header...

MrsTSalazar said...

Such an inspiration! I barely get out and walk! I need to just do it.

What program are you following?

TIff

Monnik said...

It's called Hal Higdon's Spring Training - the Novice program. (He has varying levels of effort.)

My son AND daughter got up to run with me this morning at 5:45 on a Monday. That was pretty cool!