Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Poem by Hollywood

I'm a geeky mom. I give my kids daily assignments and chores to do each day while they're home for the summer. They don't take long, and they're fun for me too. Plus, it keeps them away from Guitar Hero and the TV for at least a little while.

The Boy's assignment for today was to read 50 pages in the book my mom gave him for Christmas. I told Hollywood to write me a poem, a song, or a short story. Here's what she came up with. That kid cracks me up:

A Poem?
By Hollywood

My mother said to me today,
"Write a poem, dear. Make it great!"
Only, I'm afraid to make it sound cliche,
So I don't know what to write about.

I could write about my short run
And how we saw cross country runners who had just begun.
But a poem like that would not be very fun,
So I don't know what to write about.

I could write about cold water
And how it tastes better when the weather is hotter.
But to write a poem like that, I'd be a terrible plotter,
So I don't know what to write about.

I could write about my wonderful texting
And how it's such a glorious thing.
But there's more to life, like an engagement ring,
So I don't know what to write about.

I could write about how excited we are
For the Fort Dodge tournament, which is somewhat far.
But people might find that slightly bizarre,
So I don't know what to write about.

I could always write about my house that's green,
Or how next year, I'll be fifteen.
But I would rather read the boring instructions of a machine,
So I don't know what to write about.

My mother said to me today,
"Write a poem, dear. Make it great!"
Well, hey! There's a poem! It must be fate.
I guess that's what I'll write about.

12 comments:

Mom In Scrubs said...

Geeky? I think you're awesome!! Anything, ANYTHING to keep them away from the brain-sucking video games!

And I love the poem. Reminds me of something you would have written when you were 14. *grins*

Debbielou said...

Brilliant!

I must admit that I do similar things. One phrase my kids do not ever use is "I'm bored" as they always then have to tidy their bedroom !

Barb said...

What a great poem ~ she's very talented. Love it!

MrsTSalazar said...

I love that poem! Encore!!

Patti said...

assignments! so good....

ALF said...

What a great idea! They'll thank you at some point down the road, I'm sure.

Driving With the Brakes On said...

I agree with Mom in Scrubs - your idea is brilliant! And the poem is quite impressive!

(And I do not mind one little bit if you steal the tattoo idea - it certainly isn't an origianl from my head! I am so happy with how they turned out - I don't regret it ONE BIT!)

Swishy said...

I LOVE that you do that! What a great idea!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

That was a pretty creative poem she came up with. Did you read her a lot of Shel Silverstein when she was young?

Tanya said...

You sound like my mom. Every day I would get a list of chores, and many of them would be fun things like "let the chickens out for a run" but some not so much like "clean the bathroom".

Jenster said...

I LOVE it!! She's quite the witty one, isn't she? Just like her mama??

Barbara Martin said...

Well done, Mom! An exercise turned out perfect. Give your daughter a couple of pats on the back for me.