Saturday, May 17, 2008

Slacker!

I have neglected my blog this week. I'm not sure why - I was frantically running all over the place from softball practice to baseball games and so forth. But I was no busier than usual. I guess I'm just a slacker.

I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love for my book club. This is one of the most amazingly written books I have ever read. It's funny in a wry sort of way, and I love that. But what fills me with writer-wannabe envy is how well she describes the abstract. The book is written about her journey of self discovery where she found pleasure, faith, and love. Check out this paragraph:
I'm tired of being a skeptic, I'm irritated by spiritual prudence and I feel bored and parched by empirical debate. I don't want to hear it anymore. I couldn't care less about evidence and proof and assurances. I just want God. I want God inside me. I want God to play in my bloodstream the way sunlight amuses itself on water.
I love that she got the 'couldn't care less' part right - holy cats, that irritates me when someone says 'I could care less'. But of course she got it right. Did you read those words? How does someone aptly describe their yearning to know God? Clearly, that's how. "...the way sunlight amuses itself on water?" GENIUS!

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm enjoying the read. And, speaking of enjoyable books.... My blogger pal Jess Riley's novel Driving Sideways comes out on May 20th. I am so excited. You can check out an excerpt of the first chapter here. I pre-ordered this thing last year and am so excited for it to arrive in my mailbox. Target is making it a break out novel in June - so if you're shopping in Target - and really, who doesn't shop at Target - and you see Jess's book, check it out. I'll be doing a little interview session with her soon - after I've read the novel. Can't wait!!

That's about all I have for today. This is a rare weekend without a softball tournament to attend. And the weather is gorgeous. I hope to get a ton of things done in my yard, but first I'm going to go for a nice run.

I'll leave you with this - a picture of Bumblebee in the outfit she dressed herself in: a pink dress that's a bit too small, red tights, and brown clunky sandals. The outfit is topped off with purple cat's eye sunglasses. She just told me this: "Mom, I wish I could have this same outfit on when I get married. I look so pretty!"

Indeed she does:

8 comments:

WebGal said...

I'm glad I'm not the only slacker! I've been bad too.

And isn't that book awesome?! I think I might read it again (when I get it back). :)

And I, too, am anxiously awaiting Jess Riley's novel. I pre-ordered on Amazon a while back and can't wait to get it!!!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Bumblebee looks so adorable, esp with her fancy new haircut. Lulu is following in her footsteps...rarely a day goes by that she doesn't sneak off into her room after I've dressed her to "upgrade" her outfit.

Love the excerpt...I'll have to add it to my really, really long list of books to read.

Had a blast at the amusement park. We bought season passes too!! Will have to go together sometime!

Travis Erwin said...

Bumblebee is quite the fashion plate and I'll definitely check out, Driving Sideways.

Swishy said...

SUCH A CUTE PICTURE!!!

And I am totally excited for Miss Jess's book too!

Jess Riley said...

Tooooooo cute!!!!

(So sorry about the Target thing! I owe you a giant fishbowl of wine...)

Jess Riley said...

PS: I have something for you!!! email me with your address:

jess (at) thedebutanteball.com

Barrie said...

Love the pic! You know, sometimes I think we just get worn down by being so busy. It's not that we're busier, just battle weary. Good to see you. :)

Mama P said...

Wow, great antique, cute kid and ditto on EPL.