Wednesday, April 16, 2008

How Do you Say Awkward in Japanese?

So I'm at lunch today at my conference. I'm the only one attending from Giant Ass Bank, so I'm wandering, trying to find the nicest, un-vulturey people to sit by. I sat by a woman who looked to be about my age. Score! I thought. She looks harmless, she won't try to sell me something while I'm eating the southwest chicken and soapy cilantro infested rice...

Wrong. Turns out that she works for a well known Internet Security Products Firm and was well into her pitch before I had my napkin on my lap. I politely listened, chatted with her, learned that she was based out of San Francisco and finally, near the end of lunch when the sales pitch ended only after I suggested she give me her card and I'd 'see what kind of reception senior management will give to the idea', I moved into small talk.

Because she is from the Bay area, I told her how my brother and his wife were married this past December and had a beautiful reception near the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. She gushed about how beautiful that site was and I went on to tell her about the Lion Dancers who were at my brother's reception.

She stopped and looked at me with an odd expression and said, "That's odd... Was it a Chinese wedding?"

I explained that my sister in law is Chinese and this is where the conversation got really, really weird.

She sort of gave me a stern look and said. "Well. I'm Japanese." And she got up and left.

I was thunderstruck... I think she thought that I was telling her about the lion dancers only because she was Asian. But I wasn't!! I was telling her about it because it was soooo cool.

After I told The Husband about this conversation, he told me I should have chased after her and yelled, "Well that's GREAT! Because I just LOVE sushi!!!"

8 comments:

Swishy said...

That is SO RANDOM! What a strange response!

Debbielou said...

How odd!

Tanya said...

At least you didn't have to worry about hearing any more sales pitching from her.
;)

Debbielou said...

Googled the word "awkward" in Japanese for you !

kimazui, terekusai, gikochinai, omokurushii, mazui

x

Travis Erwin said...

Odd.

ALF said...

HA HA HA! I can't believe she was offended by that. You should totally have chased after her, screaming about sushi. Do it next time.

Mama P said...

You are funny.

Jenster said...

That's totally bizarre.