Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Overextended...

Guitar lessons, track practice, Confirmation class, cub scouts, league softball, school softball, little league, swimming lessons, band concerts and chorus concerts. All of these things happen this time of year. Every spring, we overdo it. Each year I freak out about conflicting schedules, concession stand duty, washing uniforms, and getting the kids carted off to the right practice at the right time. I worry about forgetting things. I worry about forgetting a practice, a homework assignment, a game.

But what I should worry about most is losing my sanity. I admit it - I am at the breaking point.

As March comes to a close and April is on its way, I see in my future the months ahead of scraping together a meal in fifteen minutes so that we can be at the ball field for the game. The endless weeks of not getting home until after 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. The days and days of chasing Bumblebee around a set of bleachers.

Our lives have become a circus of chaos.

I was a spectacular underachiever as a kid. I went out for softball once or twice, and ran track for a couple of years in High School. I was abysmal at both sports. I played in the band, but didn't do anything outside of the normal band activities. My brothers were involved in sports, but I don't remember it being the frenzied run here, there, and everywhere event that it is for my kids today.

The general consensus these days is that it's good for kids to be involved in extracurricular activities. It'll help with college scholarships, makes them well rounded, etc. Yeah, maybe. But at what cost?

At first glance, it looks like there isn't much of a cost to them - they're happy kids who get great grades, they have fun with their activities, it seems to be a win-win situation.

Until you look at their burnt out mom. Which definitely is a problem for them, as they'll tell you when I've snapped at them for no reason; or when they catch a flesh eating bacterial disease because I haven't cleaned the toilets in six weeks ; or when they are left to wear jeans from two years ago because the laundry is piled to the ceiling. Capri pants aren't such a great look for a fifth grade boy - too young to pull off that metrosexual thing...

Anyway, I'm on the verge of veering into a tangent from which I fear there might be no return. So I'll bring this to a close. Suffice it to say, next year we're not doing the extra softball league, and we'll stick to one sport per season. Because this mom's at the end of her rope.

5 comments:

Barb said...

It was so very common to hear this from other moms. I am noticing a trend now where moms are cutting back to save their sanity. I know I did ~ I had too. It gets too crazy otherwise. Gotta take care of you first. Remember "If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!"

Barb

Debbielou said...

You are so right !!

It's exactly the same in my house - in fact I think I go to work to pay for the kids activities.

I like to be organised so I write timetables - so we all know where we have to be , we eat certain things on certain nights so as to have time to get to places -it's crazy !

Oh and I've just looked at Sam's trousers - he has those Capri pants !! He seems to have had a growth spurt so off to buy him some new ones - that is after I've scrubbed the loo !! x

Travis Erwin said...

Your schedule seems worse but mine is pretty busy right now and on top of everything I m coaching a preschool soccer team.

Mama P said...

Re: "Capri pants aren't such a great look for a fifth grade boy - too young to pull off that metrosexual thing..." Might suck for your son, but at least you'll get a book deal from your fabulous writing.

Hang in. You are not alone. You articulate it so well, too.

Now go get some sanity. Or clean a toilet. Something like that.

Andrea said...

just remember to stop and breathe occasionally...