Monday, March 10, 2008

Organizational Changes...

The theme of today's post is organization. No, no! Don’t leave! I know, I know. I hate it too! But bear with me.

These are a few of the things I did this weekend…

1. I created a calendar with all of our household activities for the rest of March and April.

I quickly found a calendar-generating website, then I spent an hour messing with my possessed printer before it finally bended its will to mine and printed the damned thing. Then, I had a stack of papers from the school and updated dates and times of school things – band concerts, Kindergarten meetings, book sales, fun nights, baseball practices, track meets, softball games, and so forth. Then I added the ongoing things like guitar lessons, religion classes and cub scouts. And then… I added the other activities like first communions (my nephew and my best pal’s daughter – how can they be old enough for that?!) and birthday parties and so forth. By the time I was done, there are like three days without any writing on them. Oy.

2. I prepared for spring sports by buying equipment before the season starts instead of halfway through.

The Boy was wearing skuzzy old gym shoes to his basketball games until halfway, er, two-thirds of the way through the season, when I finally managed to get him real basketball shoes. All of the kids on his team had flashy shoes with Shaq and Michael Jordan and whoever the current NBA stars are (because I know Shaq and MJ are sooo old school) on them. But The Boy, being the sweetie that he is, never uttered one word of complaint. I finally couldn’t take it anymore when the sole of his shoe was flapping on the gym floor during a game, so I got him some real basketball shoes. Last year, I think I managed to get him a new set of baseball cleats about halfway through the baseball season. Hollywood made do without spikes for all of last year’s track season because I never got around to getting any for her. See my pattern here? I’m L-A-Z-Y or maybe just B-U-S-Y or C-H-E-A-P. (Probably all three.) At any rate, my poor kids never seem to be fully prepared for their sports seasons.

Not this year! I vowed to have them all outfitted and ready to go before their first practice. So… on Saturday, I took all three kids with me into the bowels of Hell (also known as Wal-Mart) to get as much as we could before heading to the expensive sports stores. As the cart kept filling up with bats, socks, pants, belts, balls, gloves, baseball bags, etc, I started feeling clammy. This was going to cost a fortune. During this fun-filled shopping extravaganza, I was on the phone off and on because our systems at Giant Ass Bank were down much of the day. Which was a very bad thing. On top of that, Bumblebee decided to behaviorally revert to a temper tantrum throwing two year old. She threw fits and ignored me much of the trip. Wheeee. It was fun. FUN, I tell you.

After Wal-Mart, we went to three different sports stores to complete our list, because God forbid that one sporting goods store would have everything we need. The final damage was over $500. (FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?? As Hollywood would say, "HOLY CHOW!") I was instantly in a foul (ha! Get the sports pun?!?) mood and felt like I was going to hurl over the expenditure.

I’m happy to say that they are set for their spring sports. Hopefully for a few years. They may not have food to eat for a months on end, but they’ve got their sports equipment.

3. I created a menu of healthy meals and purchased the ingredients for these meals.

I am ashamed to say that I gave in to laziness twice last week and had The Husband pick up take-out. For Chinese food and Long John Silver’s!!!! (Barf. It always sounds much better than it is, and boy do I pay for eating that stuff.) After spending a night of regret for that LJS decision, I decided that I was going to take the time to plan a healthy menu for this week, and I was going to get groceries to make these healthy meals, so there would be no excuses for ordering crap food. It took me almost an hour to come up with a good menu. Then it took longer still to create the grocery list. It took even longer to get the actual groceries, and then I spent another two hours prepping meals for this week. (made ahead a lasagna, boiled some chicken for my lunch staple of curried chicken salad, etc.) It was exhausting!

But. Here’s the upside… I put a roast in the slow cooker this morning. Tonight, when I walk in the door, the scent of dinner being almost done will greet me. That, my friends, is worth spending a Sunday afternoon prepping for the week.

If only I could do it every day.

7 comments:

Jenster said...

Wow!!! You rock!!

I always do much better with grocery shopping and actual cooking when I have my meals planned in advance. Haven't done that in a while, though...

Anonymous said...

Superb organisation! That's always something I lack... I hope you can fit some running into that schedule - we'd love to see you back out there! Just thought i'd let you know that I completed my first half marathon on Sunday in 2:09:58 - one of the reasons I signed up for it was to keep up with your aspirations, so don't go backing out on me now ;) Cara x

Monnik said...

Cara - that's so awesome!!!! I started running again with my son. Still only doing about 30 minutes at a time - I really fizzled out this winter. But I am getting back on track.

2:09:58!!! You are a machine! Yay!!!

I'll attempt the active message boards to give you a 'real' hello!

Jenster, it sure does take time to plan, doesn't it??

Mama P said...

You are scaring me.

WebGal said...

boiled chicken?

Monnik said...

technically, I poached the chicken, because I was simmering the water, it wasn't at a full boil, but it was done with hot water. So yeah.

Mom In Scrubs said...

You go girl!! I envy you. We are living day-to-day winging it right now with my job training schedule. I am thrilled if Lulu gets a bath more than once a week right now!!
I love that feeling of walking into your clean house, dinner ready, and nothing hanging over you that absolutely NEEDS to be done that night. It's almost like I'm a Cleaver, or a Brady...

I need a maid.