Saturday, February 16, 2008

Weird Mail

I got the weirdest letter in the mail this week. It was hand addressed to me by someone named Izzy who lives in Sioux City. (Hey, that rhymes. And it's kind of fun to say out loud a few times: Izzy from Sioux City, Izzy from Sioux City, Izzy from... well, you get the point. Fun, isn't it?) I don't know anyone in Sioux City, least of all an Izzy. Izzy reminds me of a lizard. Mom in scrubs, was your lizard named Izzy? Or was it Squeak? My memory sucks. Anyway, here's a photo of the inside of the card. The outside was blank. It reads: "Congratulations. On Sept. 25, 2003 one of the happiest days of your life, your home was paid for."

So I blanked out Izzy's last name, and his full phone number. Not sure why I'm protecting the privacy of some dude who randomly sends congratulatory cards to people who pay off their mortgages. But it seems the prudent thing to do. And you know me - I'm all about prudence.

Um, funny thing, though... My home isn't "paid for." We still owe the bank mucho dinero on our palatial abode. (side note: why in the HELL is the word palatial spelled with a 't' instead of a 'c'??? The root of the damn word uses the 'c', so it makes no sense to throw a 't' in there when a 'c' can also make the 'sh' sound when preceding an 'i'. Gah. Rant over.)

On "one of the best days of my life" mentioned in the photo above, we sold our old house. While it was a good day, because it meant we didn't have to pay two house payments anymore (we moved into our current house before we sold the old one) it doesn't rank up there as one of the best. Not even top fifty.

So why would this guy send me a random, weird letter, four and a half years later? And why is the word home underlined? I know there has to be meaning behind the emphasis on the word. But I can't figure out what it could mean. It's all very confusing to me. I could research this person. I could call the number on the card. But I think I'll just blog about the weirdness of it instead. What an odd piece of mail.

At least it wasn't a bill.

In other news, we're supposed to get a winter storm tonight and tomorrow. Up to 1/2 inch thick ice followed by 5 -8 inches of snow. Bring it on. This is really getting quite boring, the same repetition over and over again. Hello, Springtime? It's me. Could you please come to work before your usual shift begins? I'll pay you overtime.

The Boy was sick the past few days. What a sweetie pie. I came home from work on Thursday night and he looked horrible. His cheeks and ears were flushed, he had glassy eyes... "Oh Buddy, you look like you feel awful!" I said. He started to cry. I felt his head - he was burning up. Said he felt bad all day, but didn't want to go to the nurse because he had basic skills tests that day. My poor, conscientious little man.

I stayed home with him yesterday and took him into the clinic where 2/3 of the residents of Iowa were waiting to see the doctor. After an hour and a half wait, we saw the doc and he diagnosed The Boy with a 'whopper of a sinus infection along with an ear infection.' We gave him his antibiotic and this morning he was a new guy. Much better. Man, I love amoxicillin. I'm glad to see him better - he was in pretty bad shape.

I'm going to leave you with this awesome picture of Bumblebee. She's wearing a reindeer headband, a feather boa, and some sunglasses. Stylin'. We're off to watch What Not To Wear together, which is usually a Friday night ritual, but thanks to the TiVo gods, we can do on a Saturday too. She honestly loves to watch it with me. One day, in an attempt to convince me to let her wear a skirt on a five degree day, she said, "Momma. I don't think Stacey and Clinton would like these jeans." Reason number 4,334 why I love that kid.

5 comments:

Mama P said...

Acccckkkkkkkkkkkkk! The cuteness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WebGal said...

That IS weird. Why would she congratulate you and why so long after the sale? Weird.

Debbielou said...

How strange but hey perhaps this mystery man has paid off your mortgage and the post man has been holding onto your letter for the past 5 years!!! Now wouldn't that be great - I'd phone the number to satisfy my curiosity- as long as it isn't one of those "pay extortion amounts of money per minute" phone scams .

Sorry to hear that the Boy is poorly - lots of nasty bugs around at the moment.

Beautiful picture of Bumble bee - lovely ! x

Travis Erwin said...

This reminds me of Fuzzy wussy was a bear.

Izzy wizzy from Sioux City
Sent me a little ditty
Izzy wizzy ain't too witty.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Creepy. And it was Squeak. 'Cause he squeaked if you squeezed him too hard.

He squeaked his last squeak when I stepped on him by accident too. *sniff*