Monday, February 18, 2008

Sickies

See this picture? It’s a photo of Karma biting my larger-than-it-should-be ass.

Remember last Monday when I took a ‘mental health day?’ Well. This weekend, I got hit by the influenza truck. And so did Bumblebee. And let me tell you, it sucks. We spent all day yesterday and today in bed. Bumblebee said it best when she told me that her brain hurts. It does. This nasty bug brings a deep and painful cough, sore throat, runny nose, and the MOTHER of all headaches.

This afternoon, we went to the doctor, who very nicely told us that it sucks, but there’s not a damn thing that she can give us to make it go away faster. But did you know that chicken soup has been proven to be a better cough suppressant than actual cough medicine in children? Who knew?

So I mumbled that maybe we should have gotten our flu shots this year, and she said, “Oh, well, this year’s shots are only covering about 40% of the influenza cases, so it may not have helped you.” Which is exactly why I don’t do flu shots.

The Boy seems to be doing much better, but he was diagnosed (by a different doctor) with a sinus infection and an ear infection. So he got to have some antibiotics. His cough is still sticking around, but the fever's gone. I totally understand why you can't give antibiotics for viral infections, but man. The placebo effect alone would help me out with this one, I just know it.

Hollywood swears that she won't get what we have because she 'never gets sick.' And that's mostly true - she's a very healthy kid. I hope she and The Husband are spared this nasty bug.

My brain hurts too. So I’m off to take my seventh nap of the day.

9 comments:

WebGal said...

Aw. What a sweet picture!!

I hope you feel better soon!

Jenster said...

Aw, I'm so sorry. You two look awfully cute, though.

I never used to get flu shots, either. But my oncologist never gave me a choice and she required my kids to get them too - while I was going through chemo and dealing with a low white count. Plech!

Swishy said...

Awwwwww.

The last time I took a mental health day I got a horrible, in-bed migraine 20 minutes later. It was HORRIBLE! Karma, she is a bitch.

Barb said...

I'm so sorry this damn bug got you two also. Both my kids and I had it and it's not fun. Try popsicles to sooth your throats. It's the only thing that got me thru! Feel better soon.

Debbielou said...

Oh dear - Hope you all feel better very soon xx

Mom In Scrubs said...

That Bites. Karma is not my friend either - every time I took a Mental Health Day, someone got sick shortly thereafter. Never learned my lesson tho.

Lulu had strep throat last week; she even got a shot so it must have really impressed those antibiotic-hoarding doctors!!

Bumblebee looks like an angel it that picture. You look like an exhausted angel.

Andrea said...

Aw! I hope you and your household feel better soon.

Debbielou said...

Monnik - I have also given you an award - hope you are feeling a bit better x

Travis Erwin said...

Hope you are now feeling better.