Thursday, February 21, 2008

I am Not Dead

I am not dead.

Pinches arm. Ouch. Still have feeling in my skin. That’s good.

I am still not particularly lively, but I’m not dead. And this is good.

Today is day five of a fever, and I honestly don’t think I have ever had a fever for five straight days. I’ve been the whiniest, most pitiful ball of useless crud for the past week. My poor family. The only one who hasn’t suffered from my inutile blobness is Bumblebee because she’s been in the sickness trenches with me. In fact, she’s hacking up a lung while she’s leaning on my lap as I type this. Poor kid. Poor me. It’s kind of distracting. And I hope she doesn’t get sputum on my laptop screen. (ew. sputum is a vile word, but it has rather an onomatopoeic quality, doesn’t it?)

The older kids and The Husband have been doing an awesome job of keeping the house going while I’ve been indisposed. Which is proof positive that they would survive if I got hit by a bus someday.

From that morbid thought to another... Yesterday, as I lay in my bed, drenching through the third or fourth outfit of the day (this sweating is horrible!) I started to think about how abjectly horrible it must have been to be living in the times of plague and pestilence when you started seeing the symptoms of the incurable illness in your children, and then maybe in yourself. Can you imagine how it would have been to lay there with your sick brood and pray that you die before them, but only by a few minutes, and while they’re sleeping, so that they don’t suffer? I just can’t imagine going through this, knowing that it would likely end in death for most of your family. How awful must that have been for those people?

This is how my mind wanders while I’m under the weather. Not so pleasant, eh?

Mom in Scrubs and Debbielou, I saw the awards you bestowed upon me and am honored. I will do a write-up on them at some point in the near future.

7 comments:

Jenster said...

I'm so sorry, Monnik. I hope you get over this crud ASAP!

And my mind thinks those kinds of things when I'm NOT sick!

ALF said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Debbielou said...

Hurry up and get well soon!x

Swishy said...

Ugh, that SUCKS! (And I think that stuff all the time ... ha.) FEEL BETTER!!!!

Prairie Chicken said...

Hope you're feeling better by now--and all I have to cmplain about is snow and ice! Take care.

Jess Riley said...

Hope you guys are on the mend soon! I too am fighting whatever horrid bug is making the rounds--we shall win, I declare!!!

Mom In Scrubs said...

I'm a morbid thinker too, usually when I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep. And it IS a horrible thought!

Sputum, while in the top 2 of my most disgusting body fluids list, is a very appropriate word with a punch.

You will be better soon, I promise.

And hey, you're probably losing weight, right? There's always a bright side to getting sick...