Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Sounds of Our Home

I'm sitting here listening to the sounds of my household:
  • The dog is barking her bark-that-sounds-like-a-quack bark at the wind outside.
  • The Boy is playing is trumpet.
  • Bumblebee is telling the dog to hush. "Hush, Merlin!"
  • The potatoes are boiling on the stove. We're having roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, and broccoli for dinner. Yum. (I ran THREE whole miles tonight, so I can eat this dinner without guilt so long as I don't eat the entire chicken.)
  • The Boy's trumpet is still blaring.
  • I can faintly hear - and definitely feel through the floor - the bass of the music Hollywood is listening to in her basement bedroom. She recently bought the Rent soundtrack and has been playing it non stop.
  • The wind is pounding our house. I can hear it the most coming from the chimney.
  • I just heard the cat thump to the floor - she's been jumping up on the mantle - we probably have mice in running behind that wall.
  • Hollywood's door just slammed. Now I hear her bounding upstairs. She's probably hungry.

Life is nice on nights like these where we have nowhere to go and only each other to spend the evening with. Even if it is a little bit noisy.

8 comments:

Jess Riley said...

I love nights like this, when the wind is howling outside and you're safe and cozy inside with people you love.

And good for you on running 3 miles!

Larramie said...

And all's right in the world...

Andrea said...

I love it when I get the opportunity to stop and listen... :)

Debbielou said...

Lovely description Monnik- I've had the sounds of an ill tuned violin playing , a recorder blowing, the Simpsons on in the background and the neighbours car alarm sounding and I've still got to cook my tea ! I'll do you a swap! x

Jenster said...

This post makes me happy!

Mama P said...

I love your take on life. Question: Are you the person who posted on doing the polls in Iowa? Can you let me know via here or my address: andrea.paventi@gmail.com

Bye for now.

Travis Erwin said...

Been windy here too. The sounds of life. Someday you'll miss all that noise.

Barrie said...

Nice, homey noises. And yay on the three miles!