Thursday, January 10, 2008

Run, Monnik, Run!!!

So I've hit a wall in my running hobby. In November I had some hip pain that turned pretty nasty, so I took a few weeks off running to heal it.

The good news - my hip seems to be healed.

The bad news - the time off seems to have refamiliarized my ass with that imprint in the couch that's so comfy... November turned to December and then the holidays came around.

I think I ran three times in December. Maybe it was four, but the point is, I totally slacked off. And I ate. And ate and ate and ate.

The good news - I'll survive a long time on fat reserves if I find myself in a post-apocalyptic situation. (I just read Cormac McCarthy's The Road)

The bad news - Running with seven extra pounds is noticeably harder.

More bad news - I got used to eating crappy food. It's hard to get back to oatmeal and healthy food when you've got holiday cookies and chocolate on your mind.

Even more bad news - My pants are tight. All of them. Even the 'fat' pants - you know the ones you wear to Thanksgiving so that your belly can expand and you can still button them? Yeah. They're tight. And they look awful.

So. I really MUST get back on track. I've done pretty well with the eating, but have still struggled with the running. It's pathetic that I can't lose weight by walking (I do that a lot on my lunch break) but it's how I'm built.

This morning I hauled my tired self out of bed and ran 2.5 miles. I ran it slow and it wasn't pretty when I got done. My face might still be red from the exertion. But I did it.

And I must continue. Who's with me? Anyone else want to join in my get moving campaign? It doesn't have to be with running - I know that's not for everyone...

6 comments:

Jenster said...

You are so funny!!!

I want to join your get moving campaign. I was going to re-join the YMCA on Monday so I can start swimming, but I ended up sick. So next week. Besides, I've got lots of things coming up this year that I want to do. The Susan G. Komen 5K (walking), the Bucks County Bike Ride (20 - 30 miles), the Susan G. Komen 3 day (60 miles over 3 days walking), and I'm sure a few other things. I want to look better, but mostly I just want to feel good. I can hardly remember what that was like! (Geez, that sounds so pitiful!)

Kawana Aminata Oliver said...

Keep it going Gurl ;-)

Andrea said...

I'm with you on your get moving campaign, but I'm not running. I've started back with Taekwando at least once a week and small exercises throughout the day.

Glad your hip seems to have healed. :)

Mama P said...

I am with you. I forced myself to do 20 minutes of walking yesterday. All my writing gigs have been great for my mind - I LUV THEM - but my body. Oh, God. I'm not overweight, but I'm just flabby. I think I need to run, but I'm scared. I'm SKEERED.

Let me think about it. Maybe I'll do 20 min/day of walking and add 1 minute of running each day until I'm up to 10 minutes of running 5 days/week.

Okay, that's it! I'm with you!

And good eating. No carbs after 2. And no food after 7. Unless I'm on deadline. And then I have permission to snack for comfort. I'm okay with that.

Barb said...

Kudos to you for running. I've never (even at my lowest weight) been a runner ~ bad ankles and all but I absolutely need to get moving some how.

LaskiGal said...

Ugh--I could have written your post! I actually reached for my Bella Band (the pregnancy band that helps hold up/disguise your unzipped/unbuttoned non-pregnancy pants) last week. I'm not pregnant. But man, those things are awesome!

I'm on track (ha ha . . .) to run a half marathon in April. I can run one mile without falling over. Next week, I'll get to two. Maybe I can retire that Bella Band . . . at least until I REALLY need it.