Saturday, January 19, 2008

Chinese Food Debacle

Last night we decided to order Chinese carry out. Nobody delivers up to Tinytown, so we had to order from the bigger town close to us. I was trying to find the menus that we keep magneted to the fridge, but they were nowhere to be found. So I looked in the phone book and found a menu for China Moon. Which I thought was the name of the place that we always order from.

It takes about 10 minutes to get to the north side of Bigger-Than-Tinytown. The Husband got into the car and came back about 25 minutes later. We started pulling out our stuff and noticed that there were no crab rangoon or egg rolls. We thought the order was incomplete. But then we looked at the entrees in the order and realized that we had paid for someone else's order.

At the wrong restaurant.

I had ordered from China Moon. But I told TH that it was the restaurant on the north side of town by the hardware store. Oops, that was Panda Garden.

Funny thing is, Panda Garden just gave TH's order without checking any name or anything. I feel bad for the family that came to get their order only to find it gone.

We started nibbling on the order, but I really wanted my Lo Mein, so TH kindly (without complaint) went back to Larger-Than-Tinytown - all the way to the south side this time to get our real order.

Yeah. That was an expensive mistake. We spent almost $70 on chinese food. Guess what we're having for lunch today?

Thursday night when I got in my car to go to Bunko, I noticed a little bird flying around in the garage. They get stuck in there sometimes. I left the garage door open for the little guy while I was at Bunko and assumed he flew out to his nest. Last night when I got home from work, we had a birdcicle on the garage floor - next to the stairs into the house. I shuddered when I saw the poor, frozen, seemingly dead bird. I told TH that he had to dispose of the little guy. He came back and said that thing was just as good as a lawn dart. He had flung the poor bird into the snow in the front yard, offering it up as a snack to the area wild. Shudder. Lawn darts, birdcicles, I just have bad luck with birds. No wonder they skeeve me out.

Today is Saturday and I have to cram as much of my weekend chores into today as possible since tomorrow is the big NFC Championship game. Go Packers!!!


I'm headed to Target with all three kidlets who have gift cards burning holes in their pockets. Fun.

Oh yeah, and here's a winter-still-sucks update: the current temperature is -3 degrees. Windchills are at -19. Brrrrrrrrr!!

9 comments:

Debbielou said...

Great story ! Hope it warms up for you soon - still raining here in the UK !! x

Mom In Scrubs said...

Nothing like southern CA....ahhh. 70 degrees each day. Oh, there were the Santa Anna winds, but at least they weren't blowing snow around.

I'm baaack!! While you cheer on the pack tomorrow, I will be "celebrating" grandmaw-in-law's 79th birthday. She chain-smokes, gripes, and has no interest in celebrating anything. Woo hoo.

More later, G

Mama P said...

How small is your town? Do you like being in a smaller town? I am always fascinated by places people live. Like, everything is not about L.A... like, oh my god! totally!

Monnik said...

Mama P, the town we live in has a population of 320 people. No joke. It's basically just houses, a school, and a farmer's coop. oh - and there's a cafe that serves farmers coffee and eggs, but I haven't been there yet.

I live about 30 minutes from Des Moines though, and while it's definitely not LA, it's at least a city (that's also where I work). Also, the town just south of us by 10 miles has about 50,000 people.

We love the small town living, but it's pretty true that everyone knows your business in a small town. I'm usually ok with that - I figure the community can help keep an eye on my kiddos for me.

Monnik said...

Welcome back, G! Can't wait to hear about the first week!

Jane said...

Ha! I could easily eat $70 worth of Chinese food. Easily.

Travis Erwin said...

I'd rather eat the birdsicle that Chinese food. Much less for two days.

Jenster said...

Hey, I'm sorry about the Packers last night. Truly, I wanted them to win. Though I'm happy for Eli Manning, but that's about the only good to come of the game. :o(

Swishy said...

Awwww ... I'm sorry about your Packers :(