Thursday, January 24, 2008

Baby it's Cold Outside!

My mother will start worry
(beautiful whats your hurry)
My father will be pacing the floor
(listen to the fireplace roar)

So really i'd better scurry

(beautiful please don't hurry)

but maybe just a half a drink more

I love that song!!!


I took this picture of my car’s dashboard on the way into work this morning. (Never mind that I was driving at 40 mph while I took the picture. That really was pretty irresponsible of me. Don’t tell my kids.) Can you believe my brand new car has 4080 miles on it already? But again, not the point.

Check out the temperature reading. Can you see it? NEGATIVE NINETEEN DEGREES.

I am so sick of this cold, snowy, crapdappity winter. I want warmth. I want longer hours of daylight. I want sunlight that actually warms your skin. I want to see grass instead of snow. Argh!

So anyway, I decided that since you all know that I hate winter, I’d write a list of the things that I actually do like about post-holiday winter:

  • Fires in the fireplace – The Husband is great about making fires on cold nights when we are just hanging out.
  • Hot tea – I drink this all year round, but it’s especially warm and cozy in the winter.
  • Reading – I get more reading done in the wintertime, since I can’t be outside as often.
  • Snuggling under a blanket – I have a few really soft and fluffy blankets in the living room that are perfect to grab a kid and snuggle under.
  • Coats – I love coats. I have several. My favorite is a long, wool purple number.
  • Mittens – (I guess they’re actually gloves, but I always call them mittens). I like mittens.
  • Warm and fuzzy slippers – I got a great pair of them for Christmas from TH and they are awesome.

But, here's the number one thing I like about post-holiday winter (and it really is the best part of this God-forsaken season):

  • Boots. (not the snow variety, the fashion kind) Boots are awesome and they are only wearable in cold weather.

See? I’m not always a pessimist about winter…

But DAMN is it cold outside!!!!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Note to self - Never move to Iowa.

Just head on down here to Memphis. Today's high is only 36 degrees, but compared to -19, that's practically balmy! And no snow!

Debbielou said...

Minus 19 ! Brrrrrrr !! That really is very " Nippy Noo" as my kids would say. They long for snow - in the UK the country would come to a standstill and the schools usually close as the boilers would break down ! They would love to make snowman/woman, footprints, snow angels & have snow ball fights.Not so good when you have to get to work.
Wishing you warm thoughts!!
Ps - You need some more petrol ! x

Monnik said...

'petrol'. I love the way you talk, debbielou. :)

My husband thinks I ALWAYS need gas. That's not true - I fill it up every weekend. Usually lasts me all week now that I have a car instead of my old gas-guzzling minivan.

Larramie said...

Though not -19 here, it's still only in the teens WITH a windchill that leaves me shaking in my boots!

Manic Mom said...

I LOVE that you took a positive spin on such a sucky sucky SUCKY time of year. I have been sooo freaking crabby because of the frigidness of this weather! I mean, it's sunny out yes, but sooo freaking cold! I love many of the things on your list, snuggling and warm fires! ANd I am just now getting into tea! No longer a latte girl, I love the REFRESH tea at Starbucks and only $1.58 instead of like $4.58!!!!

Thank you for the nice reminders of the pleasant things during the winter.

And yay for you and a new car. I bet it smells nice!!!!!!!!!

Swishy said...

OK, seriously, I cannot handle it. I literally took my dinner into bed and ate it under my blankets, I was so cold.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Brrr. Even I, a winter-lover, am sick of the negative temps!

I've been sleeping in my slippers...sometimes even my robe! Now THAT's cold.

Maybe tonite I will sleep in a ski mask too?